[SWAF-Potluck] The Dangers of On-Line Advertising... :^)

Andy Sorfleet a.sorfleet at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 10:19:00 PDT 2014


Can't resist sharing this story. Vindictive persons have been using
ads for sex to harass people. Shows the dangers of on-line ads that
don't have verification systems. In the olden days when we advertised
in newspapers, the ad rep always verified who we were and our phone
numbers.

"Johl added someone has been including their phone numbers in ads
offering sexual services on websites such as Craigslist.

"Even when we were filing our police report, our phones were going
off," said Johl. "It's created a very dangerous situation."


=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://www.vancourier.com/
VANCOUVER COURIER
Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Sandra Thomas



Sex, lies, corruption -- accusations heat up in community centre brouhaha

Riled up in Riley Park

[photo caption]
Association member Art Bomke said he and other neighbours are
concerned with the way president Jesse Johl is managing the board of
directors.
photo Dan Toulgoet

It has the makings of a best-selling novel, including accusations of
alleged political corruption, financial misdealings and online
advertisements for sexual services.

But as it turns out, the scandalous plot is not the creation of an
author's imagination, but rather recent events surrounding the Riley
Park/Hillcrest Community Centre Association.

And depending on whom you ask, the association's board of directors is
either the target of unwarranted attacks or at the root of all that's
plaguing the community centre and non-profit association.

Association member Art Bomke said he and other neighbours are
concerned with the way president Jesse Johl is managing the board of
directors.

"I'm a member but just started getting active with what's happening
about a week and a half ago when more and more neighbours started to
realize we need to step in and do something," said Bomke, a long time
Riley Park resident. "The fact they've filed no minutes for two years,
as a member I find that inappropriate. How are we supposed to attend
an AGM with no information?"

Bomke said he and other neighbours were also concerned because the
annual general meeting was called for this Thursday afternoon, the day
before Good Friday, with little notice, especially in light of
proposed changes to the association's bylaw, which were to be decided
at the AGM. One of those changes would mean society members must
purchase a valid membership at least 90 days in advance in order to
vote at meetings. Other changes laid out grounds for removing a member
of the board of directors, including letting their membership to the
association lapse, missing two board or committee meetings and
engaging in "unprofessional, abusive, disruptive or unseemly conduct."

Hillcrest is embroiled in a lawsuit against the park board alongside
Hastings, Kensington, Kerrisdale, Sunset and Killarney community
centre associations. In January, the B.C. Supreme Court halted the
attempted eviction of the six associations and the injunction will
remain in effect until a full court case can be heard regarding
violations of the joint operating agreements alleged by the six
associations, which have also filed for damages against the park
board.

In light of the court case, there have been suggestions Johl is
carrying out a not-so private vendetta against the Vision
Vancouver-dominated park board. Johl is a former NPA candidate and
founder of a new civic party called Vancouver First.

Bomke added he knows of at least one person who purchased a membership
to the association and later found her credit card was billed to a
charity called the Way to Give Foundation, which lists Johl as
director.

But Johl said that was simply a matter of a computer glitch that took
place when the centre's website was recently redesigned, which has
since been rectified.

He explained the code for what had previously been a separate link on
the website was accidentally embedded as the association's.

He also blames the website's redesign for the lack of available
minutes and financial reports.

"Those will go up, but we're a volunteer board with a lot going on
right now," said Johl.

He said in the last week and a half, the remaining board members have
been the subject of a disturbing phone and text campaign, which is now
under police investigation. Johl added someone has been including
their phone numbers in ads offering sexual services on websites such
as Craigslist.

"Even when we were filing our police report, our phones were going
off," said Johl. "It's created a very dangerous situation."

On Monday, a group who say they were kicked off the board illegally
argued in B.C. Supreme Court for reinstatement, a postponement of the
AGM and injunction against changes to the bylaw.

Johl said he decided to settle rather than spend more money in courts
and the AGM is being rescheduled for September.

(c) Vancouver Courier


More information about the SWAF-Potluck mailing list