[Onthebarricades] CHINA Addendum, Sept 2008
global resistance roundup
onthebarricades at lists.resist.ca
Wed Sep 9 19:35:41 PDT 2009
* Hunan, Xiangxi/Jishou - Furious protest over pyramid scheme
* Ningbo - workers clash with police
* Wuhan - protest over soccer player suspension
http://news.morningstar.com/newsnet/ViewNews.aspx?article=/DJ/200809050333DOWJONESDJONLINE000392_univ.xml
Armed Police Sent To Quell Protest In Central China9-5-08 3:33 AM EDT |
E-mail Article | Print Article
BEIJING (AFP)--Hundreds of armed police were dispatched to central China
to quell a demonstration by furious crowds demanding their money back
from a fund- raising scheme, the local government said Friday.
The protest began Wednesday in Hunan province and gathered momentum
Thursday, blocking traffic and delaying trains, but all had returned to
normal by Friday, according to a witness and the government of Xiangxi
prefecture.
"The railway station is open today, but yesterday it was blocked by
people," a receptionist at the Tianlu Hotel next to the station in
Jishou City, who could not be named for fear of reprisal, said Friday.
According to the Hong Kong-based Information Centre for Human Rights and
Democracy, the crowd swelled to 10,000 people, but local authorities
refused to comment when contacted by phone.
The center said 5,000 soldiers and armed police had been dispatched to
control the crowd, leading to 20 arrests with 50 people injured.
The protest is the latest in a series of confrontations over social
issues in China, where tens of thousands of riots erupt each year, many
of which emanate from grievances over abuse of power, corruption or land
grabs.
In June, tens of thousands of people rioted in southwest Guizhou
province over claims police had covered up an alleged rape and murder of
a teenage girl.
The government said in a statement on its Web site it brought in armed
police to disperse the crowd in Jishou, but failed to mention how many,
adding no one was hurt and that car and rail traffic had returned to
normal by Friday.
It said it had taken "coercive measures" on nine protesters, but it was
unclear whether these people had been detained.
Photos of the protest were widely available on popular web portals in
China, depicting a strong armed police force standing behind shields on
railway lines and on the roads.
Locals in the city took to the streets on Wednesday to ask the
government to intervene after a firm failed to pay back money it owed
them, the local government said in its statement.
A crowd formed at the city's railway station on Wednesday evening, but
soon dispersed, according to the statement.
On Thursday morning, the protesters gathered again on the streets and at
the railway station, blocking car and rail traffic.
"There are still lots of police at the station today, but there are less
locals than yesterday," the hotel receptionist said.
The local government said the people responsible for the fund-raising
company, called Fuda Real Estate Company, were under investigation.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7600762.stm
Friday, 5 September 2008 16:10 UK
E-mail this to a friend
Printable version
Protests in two Chinese cities
The Chinese government is reported to have sent thousands of soldiers
and police to quell unrest in the central province of Hunan.
Up to 10,000 people took to the streets in Jishou to demand money back
from an allegedly fraudulent fundraising firm, a Hong Kong-based rights
group said.
In another protest in the eastern port of Ningbo, 10,000 workers clashed
with police, the group added.
Social unrest is common in China, but rarely on this scale.
Confronting police
The Hong Kong-based Information Centre for Human Rights and Democracy
said that, in both protests, violent clashes erupted between angry
crowds and local authorities.
In Jishou 50 people were injured in rioting, and police arrested 20
people, the group said.
According to Xinhua news agency, the protesters blocked roads and trains
to demand that the government take action after a fundraising company
"failed to pay them back as promised".
The Jishou government admitted in a statement that armed police were
drafted in to disperse the crowds, but did not mention if anyone was hurt.
In the second incident, thousands of migrant workers confronted police
in Ningbo to protest about the injury of a man in a local factory.
The protests are the latest in a series of confrontations over social
issues in China - many of which stem from grievances over alleged
corruption and local authorities' abuse of power.
In June, thousands of people rioted in Guizhou province over claims that
police had covered up the rape and murder of a girl.
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asiapacific/news/article_1428984.php/Police_quell_more_riots_in_east_south_China_
Police quell more riots in east, south China
Asia-Pacific News
Sep 5, 2008, 10:35 GMT
Beijing - Riot police have quelled two violent protests by thousands of
people in southern and eastern China, in the latest of several recent
clashes between ordinary residents and local authorities, officials and
a rights group said on Friday.
Up to 30 people were detained for questioning after riot police broke up
a protest by migrant workers demanding compensation for a teenage boy
who was seriously injured after he climbed into a textile factory in the
eastern city of Ningbo, police said.
'There are now 20 to 30 under investigation and being interviewed,' a
police officer in Ningbo's Xiangshan county told Deutsche Presse-Agentur
dpa by telephone.
The officer said 'mass rioting' broke out after factory workers seized
the 14-year-old boy as a suspected thief and called police, apparently
resulting in the boy jumping from a building as the police arrived.
'The reason why he jumped is still under investigation,' he said.
The Xiangshan police officer said the boy was treated by a local
hospital for serious injuries but was out of danger.
He said no police were injured in the clash with protestors, but the
Hong Kong-based Information Centre for Human Rights and Democracy said
20 others were injured.
The Information Centre said some 500 migrant workers gathered outside
the factory on Thursday, and thousands of onlookers swelled the crowd to
about 10,000 before the riot police arrived.
It said another 50 people were injured and 20 detained after riot police
clashed with thousands of protestors angered by an illegal fund-raising
scheme in the southern province of Hunan on Wednesday and Thursday.
The government's official Xinhua news agency said a 'chaotic petition to
local authorities' on Wednesday and Thursday had blocked roads and
railways in Hunan's Jishou city.
The protesters surrounded local government offices to demand
intervention after a local real-estate firm failed to repay the loans
and interest promised in its illegal fund-raising scheme, the agency said.
Some protesters and onlookers swarmed into the Jishou railway station on
Wednesday evening but were 'persuaded by officials to leave about an
hour later,' it said.
The protestors continued to block roads and the railway station on
Thursday morning.
They dispersed after officials registered the petitioners' claims
against the real-estate firm and detained company executives, the agency
said.
The riots are among an increasing number of protests and violent
incidents in recent years, reflecting simmering unrest over abuse of
official powers and widespread cynicism towards the ruling Communist
Party in many poor areas.
In one of the most serious incidents, up to 30,000 people rioted after
the suspicious death of a teenage girl in the south-western province of
Guizhou in late June.
The government later said a string of unresolved 'social grievances' and
encouragement by criminal gangs had sparked the rioting.
http://en.epochtimes.com/n2/china/hunan-protest-chinese-swat-officer-3917.html
20,000 Chinese SWAT Officers Deployed to Hunan to Monitor Protesters
By Gu Qinger and Hu Tongcai
Epoch Times Staff Sep 7, 2008
Jishou City after the protest. (Epoch Times)
On September 4, almost 100,000 Jishou City residents joined together for
a protest regarding money loaned to businesses that had became insolvent.
The government-supported loan scheme had encouraged prefecture-level and
city-level government officials to invest in long-term, high-interest
rate loans for local corporations and business people.
The problems began in early August when investors were tipped off that
the businesses were insolvent.
Investors started withdrawing their investments and in less than two
weeks had withdrawn nearly 10 billion yuan from the loan scheme (approx.
US$1.5 billion), causing the corporations to become completely
insolvent. The loan scheme was worth nearly 7 billion yuan (US$1 billion).
Authorities have responded to the protest by sending 20,000 Chinese SWAT
officers into the city. Nine of the main coordinators of the protest
have been arrested, and the 20,000 officers remain stationed in the city.
Since September 4, victims of the illegal business loan scheme have been
seen walking around the major streets in Jishou City. The Jishou Train
Station was so crowded that the train was unable to continue its service
and a large number of commuters were forced to stay at the train station.
Chinese S.W.A.T. officers station on major streets of Jishou City.
(Epoch Times)
Eyewitnesses say local authorities have mobilized a large number of
armed police from other cities to suppress the 100,000 protesters.
Jishou City resident Mr. Li told a reporter, “There are 20,000 SWAT
officers stationed in Jishou right now. They are carrying machine guns
and armed with even small mortars. The local authorities have arrested
nine protesters. There is a lot of tension right now. There are many
policemen blocking the media. A lot of media in China are reporting the
protest from the perspective of the Chinese government.”
Another resident Mr. Yang said, “To prevent the public from launching
another protest, local authorities have sent the police to guard the
train station. The authorities have claimed that they would tell the
public how they will solve the problem within three months and shut down
the businesses which fail to pay the loans.”
Encouraged by the local government, Jishou City residents invested in
nearly 7 billion yuan worth of business loans.
According to a local activist who investigated the incident, the
prefecture-level and city-level government officials who invested in the
business loans withdrew their investments and their bonuses as soon as
they heard the news of insolvency at the beginning of August.
The news traveled fast. Soon many local residents withdrew their
investments and bonuses. In less than two weeks, nearly 10 billion yuan
of loans (approx. 1.5 billion USD) had been withdrawn, leaving the
corporations completely insolvent.
It is alleged that the local government granted and endorsed the
business loans to over 20 corporations and individuals, including Fuda,
Rongchang, Sanguan, Weiye, Gexie and Jidian.
The local government enticed the public to invest in the business loans
by offering 3 percent, 5 percent, 8 percent and 10 percent interest
rates, which are higher than normal bank interest rates. This offer
quickly captured the imagination of many investors who they poured their
money into the scheme.
Mr. Yang said, “With an 8 per cent interest rate, an investment of
10,000 yuan will yield over 1000 yuan in interest revenue a month. The
advertisement was endorsed by the local government, but now the
government is not doing anything.”
Mr. Li said, “The local government has a lot of land, but the
corporations do not have enough money to develop it. The government then
allowed the corporations to acquire investments from the public. Soon
the investment money snowballed. Without the approval from the
government, no corporation may solicit investments from the public.
There are a lot of wealthy government officials who also made
investments. Nearly all the corporations in Jishou solicited investments
from the public.”
Victims of the business loans include the elderly as well as unemployed
people. They have now lost all of their life savings and become penniless.
According to an unnamed source, a female farmer solicited business
investments from an entire village. When she failed in her effort to
withdraw the villagers’ investments and interest revenues, she drank
poison to kill herself. The anxious investors approached the
corporations to get their money back, but ended up being beaten up by
thugs employed by the corporations.
Jishou City resident Ms Xiong said, “Many people were lured to sell
their lands and make an investment by the promise of high interest. Some
people even got loans to make an investment. Some poured in their entire
life savings. Nearly every household here has made an investment. Many
people were lured by the temptation of high interest rates. Even people
living in retirement homes made an investment, taking money out of their
life savings. The Chinese government must step in or else many people
will commit suicide.”
Because of the severity of the situation, the Hunan provincial
government has mobilized the military and the police from nearby cities
to suppress the protest. Sources say Beijing is well aware of the incident.
http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSTRE4930AY20081004?feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews
Thousands of China soccer fans protest player suspension
Fri Oct 3, 2008 11:46pm EDT
HONG KONG (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of soccer fans marched in the
Chinese city of Wuhan, blocked traffic and some charged a police
blockade in protest against an eight-game suspension of a star player, a
Hong Kong newspaper said.
The Chinese Football Association suspended defender Li Weifeng and fined
him 8,000 yuan ($1,169) on Tuesday for a scuffle with a player from the
opposing team who was given the same punishment. The September 28 game
ended in a 1-1 draw.
Li, 30, is a former captain of China's national team who played on the
Olympic squad in August.
Li's Wuhan Guanggu club later announced its withdrawal from the Chinese
Super League in protest, saying it would sue the Football Association
and fuelling the outrage of Wuhan's fans.
Tens of thousands of fans hit the streets on Thursday, shouting slogans
like "Dissolve the Football Association!" and "The Super League is
Finished!," and staged a sit-in to block traffic, Hong Kong's Ming Pao
newspaper reported on Saturday.
Wuhan's deputy mayor went to the scene to try to calm the fans and about
an hour later they left peacefully, the newspaper said.
Soccer is wildly popular in China, but the professional leagues are
plagued with corruption and the national team is widely considered an
embarrassment.
($1 = 6.843 yuan)
(Reporting by John Ruwitch, additional reporting by Liu Zhen in Beijing;
Editing by Valerie Lee)
More information about the Onthebarricades
mailing list