[Onthebarricades] SOUTH AFRICA: Township, school student, worker and other revolts
Andy
ldxar1 at tesco.net
Mon Apr 14 09:14:05 PDT 2008
* Police shoot at protesters at Phomolong protest over service delivery
* Rumour of queue-jumping sparks unrest among landless poor in Delft
* Cop injured during unrest at housing protest in Klaarwater, Durban;
streets barricaded
* School students in Mamelodi block roads, fight police, smash stores;
angry over police refusal to record rape
* Anger over shootings in shanty-town spills over into stone-throwing at
trial
* Cops attack protesting commuters in KwaZulu-Natal
* Cape Town municipal workers clash with police; workers trash council
property, police shoot workers
* Police murder "car spinner" in attack on revelry; police car burnt,
police stoned in response
Publicly Archived at Global Resistance:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/globalresistance
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2253852,00.html
Protest ends in violence
17/01/2008 18:29 - (SA)
Johannesburg - Police fired rubber bullets at angry Phomolong residents
after a service delivery protest ended in violence on Thursday, Free State
police said.
Two people were arrested and one man was injured in the scuffle between
police and protesters.
About 2 000 protesters gathered at the entrance to Phomolong to march to the
office of Freestate MEC for housing, Malesatsane Masereka, at 06:00, said
Superintendent Susan Moseki.
The protesters wished to deliver a memorandum.
"From what we understand they are not satisfied with service delivery in the
township, especially sewerage," said Moseki.
Violence between the two groups began when protesters barricaded roads and
began throwing stones at police, she said.
No one was seriously injured and the crowed dispersed at about 14:00, police
said.
The office of the MEC confirmed that it had received the memorandum.
"We have received the memorandum; the MEC has not been able to review the
demands yet. We will release a statement once he has been able to do so,"
said department spokesperson, Figi Zolo.
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=124&art_id=vn20080305053034783C501937
Rumour sparks Delft riot
Quinton Mtyala
March 05 2008 at 10:32AM
A rumour that people who had been on the housing waiting list for less than
four years had been moved into disputed N2 Gateway homes in Delft on Tuesday
sparked a riot.
Former residents, who had last month been removed from N2 Gateway Project
homes which they had illegally occupied in December, on Tuesday confronted
those whom they believed had jumped the housing waiting list.
Police and security guards intervened to make sure a second batch of
beneficiaries moved into their homes. This did not go down well with people
who had earlier been evicted from the homes following a Cape High Court
decision and who now lived in a tent camp.
As police chased protesters into the camp, bricks were thrown at them and
they responded by firing rubber bullets at some rioters.
'They can throw us out of these homes...'
As the protesters were pushed behind a fence, some women held babies in
their arms as they shouted abuse at police officers and private security
guards.
A protester, Desmond Gedult, alleged that some of the new homes had already
been occupied by "Somalians and Nigerians".
"How is it possible that they can throw us out of these homes only for them
to be occupied by refugees?" asked Gedult.
Another protester said the refugees had opened up tuck shops and were
renting space from the new homeowners.
http://www.dispatch.co.za/article.aspx?id=182191
Cop badly injured in housing protest
2008/03/12
A POLICE officer was stoned during a protest at Durban's Klaarwater
township. The officer had been monitoring a residents' protest.
"He sustained severe head injuries and is in hospital," said Superintendent
Vincent Mdunge, who added that 12 protesters were arrested for public
violence.
Earlier, at least 500 residents used scrap cars, fridges and burning tyres
to barricade several streets leading into the township.
The residents demanded that an ANC ward councillor leave his office and move
out of the area as he had "not kept his word on service delivery". Mdunge
said the crowd marched to an ANC office with their demand.
George Mari, DA spokesperson for Housing in KZN, said the emotive issue of
housing had been highlighted in Delft in the Western Cape, Newlands East in
KZN and at Klaarwater, Mariannhill.
"We are seeing the absolute failings of government policy to provide as many
houses to as many people as fast as possible." The provincial shortfall in
the 2006/2007 financial year was 27361 houses. - Sapa
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=15&art_id=nw20080311082522315C974899
Cop stoned during protest in Durban
March 11 2008 at 08:45AM
A police officer was stoned during a protest at Durban's Klaarwater
township, police said on Tuesday.
Superintendent Vincent Mdunge said the officer had been monitoring a
residents' protest near Mariannhill on Monday when he was stoned.
"He sustained severe head injuries and is in hospital," he said.
Mdunge said twelve protesters were arrested for public violence.
Earlier in the day, at least 500 residents used scrap cars, fridges and
burning tyres to barricade several streets leading into the township.
The residents demanded that an African National Congress ward councillor
leave his office and move out of the area as he had "not kept his word on
service delivery."
Mdunge said the crowd marched to an ANC office and demanded that the ward
councillor leave.
There had been reports that those protesting were unhappy ANC supporters,
who had voted ANC member Talent Hlongwa into office.
ANC regional secretary John Mchunu said 6 000 people had voted for the ANC
in that ward.
"If only 500 are protesting, they are the minority. Where are the 5 500
other voters?"
He said only the majority could remove the ward councillor from office, not
the minority.
No other injuries were reported. - Sapa
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=13&art_id=vn20080226044408885C280362&set_id=
Pretoria pupils riot
Graeme Hosken
February 26 2008 at 06:31AM
Thousands of high school pupils ran riot in Mamelodi on Monday, damaging
businesses and waging running street battles with police.
The marauding pupils attacked businesses and stoned passing motorists. A
petrol station in Tsamaya Road was targeted - the owner put the damage at
thousands of rands.
Pupils of at least 10 secondary schools in Mamelodi East and West blocked
roads with burning tyres, rubble, planks and poles, and hurled bottles and
stones at police.
Police retaliated, firing rubber bullets into the crowds in an attempt to
restore order.
'They must not allow their frustrations to control them'
The pupils ran amok after police allegedly chased them away from Mamelodi
East police station when they tried to report a rape.
A high school girl was raped last week, allegedly by a man who is apparently
out on bail after allegedly raping another schoolgirl last year.
The man had been apprehended by pupils in May after police failed to arrest
him.
At the time thousands of pupils took to the township's streets to vent their
anger over the police's inability to stop crimes against children.
On Monday pupils also turned on vendors.
'They are tsotsis and must be locked away'
CCTV video footage from Khutsong Shell garage in Tsamaya Road showed scores
of children hurling stones through the windows and looting the store.
Garage owner Sibusiso Mgwenya said the pupils had caused damage amounting to
more than R40 000.
"As a local businessman I condemn their actions. Children must understand
that they can't do this," he said.
"They must not allow their frustrations to control them. If they are upset
because they are not getting assistance from the police, they must take
their grievances to the relevant people.
"They must not go and damage the property and possessions of people who have
nothing to do with their issues.
"I am appealing to the youth to stop this. This is not the appropriate way
to deal with your problems," he said.
Vendor Sarah Kotlolo said she had lost everything.
"About 20 children pushed my stall over and took all the food and sweets
that I sell. It was chaos. I tried to stop them, but they just laughed and
ran off.
"I can understand their frustration at the police's failure to stop crime,
but they do not have to steal. They are tsotsis and must be locked away."
James Mohlongo, also a vendor, said three boys beat him and stole his fruit
and vegetables. "They took everything," he said.
Pupil Penelope Masilela (16) said crime was affecting Mamelodi's
schoolchildren.
"The police don't want to stop crime. We tried to tell them about the rape,
but they chased us away.
"The only way that we could get them to come to us (was to) behave like
criminals."
Police spokesperson Constable Sam Shibambo said: "We are investigating the
allegations that children were chased away when they tried to report the
rape.
"If the allegations are true, action will be taken against those police
members.
"We are also investigating the allegations that a man released on bail after
allegedly raping a schoolgirl last year has raped another girl.
"If it is true, then we will arrest the suspect for his own safety and to
protect women and children," he said.
He said cases of malicious damage to property and public violence had been
opened. No arrests have been made.
http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=690997
Bottles fly at Swartruggens court
Werner Swart and Paula Chowels, reporting live from
SwartruggensPublished:Jan 24, 2008
A crowd of about 2,000 protesters outside the Swartruggens Magistrate's
Court turned violent, hurling bottles and stones at a Nyala police vehicle
as alleged Skielik shooter Johan Nel was taken from court.
Minutes before, the crowd surged forward, pulling down the gate at the court's
main entrance.
Armed police officers in riot gear had to use their shields to push the
crowd away as the Nyala, carrying the 18-year-old murder accused, budged
forward through the angry throng.
As the vehicle moved, protestors grabbed onto it, shaking it and beating it
with their fists as they bayed for Nel's blood.
Several stones and bottles were pelted at the vehicle and a couple of
hundred protestors ran after it as it drove off.
A police helicopter hovered over the court building.
Earlier, a group of more than 1,000 angry protestors had surrounded the
building, blocking exits.
Forty minutes after appearing before magistrate Andre Kleynhans, a group of
heavily armed police officers struggled to get Nel out of court.
Chanting protestors were blocking police at every turn when they attempted
to drive the police van out.
During Nel's brief appearance, Kleynhans pleaded with community members and
the broad South African public to keep calm in the wake of last week's
shooting that left four Skielik informal settlement residents, among them
two children, dead.
The tiny courtroom was packed with curious locals, reporters and protestors
who were bussed in from elsewhere.
The case has been postponed to February 12.
http://www.sowetan.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=694406
Cops shoot commuters during taxi riot
Mhlaba Memela
30 January 2008
Police used rubber bullets and pepper spray to disperse an angry group of
more than 300 protesting commuters at Peacetown in Ladysmith, northern
KwaZulu-Natal.
The commuters were fuming after taxi operators blocked the entrance of the
Brake Throw Investment (BTI) bus company depot in a bid to stop buses
transporting locals yesterday.
A group of disgruntled taxi operators were allegedly aggrieved over the low
bus fare.
Taxi operators complained that buses charged R6,50 in the morning and
dropped the fare to R5,50 during the day while taxis charged R8.
Klipriver Taxi Association chairman, Bhekuyise Masondo, said their members
are "sick and tired" of lo sing out to bus companies.
"Buses are trying to compete with the taxis while our fare is standard. We
have been raising our concerns with the bus company for a long time but they
won't listen," Masondo said.
Commuter Xolani Shabalala said the taxi owners' actions had inconvenienced
them but what the police did was not necessary.
"There was no need to shoot at us. People were worried that they might lose
their jobs," he said.
Police captain Charmaine Struwig said the taxi and bus company leaders met
yesterday and opted for an amicable resolution. The taxis moved from the
depot entrance and allowed buses to continue operating.
"But commuters did not want to accept the fact that they were inconvenienced
going to work.
"The enraged commuters threw stones at the police and they were left with no
option but to retaliate with rubber bullets," Struwig said.
Police will maintain a strong presence in the area for the next few days.
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=594&art_id=vn20080201044553327C322594
Damp squib strike runs riot
February 01 2008 at 07:57AM
By Anel Powell
Police used rubber bullets and pepper spray to control hundreds of agitated
municipal workers who threw bottles and destroyed council property during
Thursday's march to Cape Town's Civic Centre.
The SA Municipal Workers' Union (Samwu) said at least 12 of its members were
injured and taken to hospital for treatment.
Two members, including senior union leader Leon Johannes, were arrested.
Last night they were still being charged.
'One more bottle and we shoot'
Almost 1 000 Samwu members turned over rubbish bins as they marched through
the city centre to hand over a memorandum of grievances to Mayor Helen
Zille.
But the city says Samwu will pick up the bill for cleaning up the mess and
for any damage caused. "We will also be identifying individuals who have
intimidated fellow staff members or broken other laws, and will take
disciplinary steps against them," said city spokesperson Charles Cooper.
Meanwhile, Samwu said it was "disgusted and appalled" that its members were
shot "at close range with plastic-coated steel bullets".
What started as a peaceful procession from Keizersgracht to the Civic Centre
soon turned ugly as protesters turned over rubbish bins and threw litter in
the streets. Some marchers started from Cape Town station, where rubbish
bins were knocked over.
The march was part of Samwu's indefinite strike action against the City of
Cape Town's staff placement and restructuring process, which it says is
unilateral and illegal.
'There will be no peace in the city until Samwu's needs are met'
Hertzog Boulevard was strewn with litter, upturned municipal bins and pieces
of paper as the mass of protesters made their way towards the Civic Centre.
Protesters tore up pieces of paper and threw bags containing rotting food on
to the roads. In the midday sun, the smell of refuse was overwhelming.
They waved placards saying "Down with the racist Zille regime" and "No to
Zille baasskap".
Security was tight at the Civic Centre. The main doors to the building had
been locked since early on Thursday morning. Only people who could prove
they were there on official council business, were allowed to go in.
Outside, a barbed wire barricade prevented strikers from getting too close
to the building, where curious council workers had gathered on the top steps
to watch the proceedings.
Many of the strikers were spotted drinking beer and other types of alcohol
while Samwu representatives spoke to the crowd.
Samwu organisers had their hands full trying to control unruly protesters
who wanted to clamber on top of the main truck. Some strikers were clearly
intoxicated, falling over themselves as they tried to provoke police.
Andre Adams, of Samwu, said the union was "relatively happy" with the
turnout. He said more would have turned up if there had not been
intimidation from the council. Workers had been warned that they risked
losing wages or being suspended if they took part, he said.
But the city said there were incidents of non-striking staff being
intimidated at several depots. Sport and recreation staff at the
Kraaifontein depot were forced to take part in the strike, while staff were
relocated from the Nyanga Housing office after they were harassed by
strikers.
Cosatu's Tony Erhenreich said other unions would join the Samwu strikers in
their protest. "Helen Zille must know that there will be no peace in the
city until Samwu's needs are met." He said the DA-led administration was
trying to reduce the levels of service with its staff restructuring.
The strikers demanded to hand over their grievances to Zille, but were
informed by her head of security that she was at a lekgotla.
When the city's executive director, Mike Marsden, appeared to collect the
document, the strikers became even more agitated and threw plastic
containers and paper at him.
Samwu organisers tried to calm the crowd, saying that they would return
again when Zille was available.
Adams said further action would be decided at a meeting next week.
The strikers continued their rampage as they returned to Keizersgracht
Street. Some started throwing bottles at police and at council workers
watching the protest from the Civic Centre's steps. A policeman warned: "One
more bottle and we shoot."
In Oswald Pirow Street, protesters slashed municipal bins with sticks and
kicked bins over. Some walked through the traffic, shouting at motorists.
The city council dispatched staff to clean up the mess.
Cooper said the 1 000 council workers absent on Thursday represented less
than 5 percent of the more than 22 000 staff. He said the highest
absenteeism was in the transport, roads and stormwater directorate, followed
by housing and utility services.
Cooper said the city accepted Samwu's right to strike, but it had a formal
objection process which was open to employees who were dissatisfied with the
process.
Samwu said it was collecting evidence and affidavits to make a legal case
against the police for its "unprovoked attack".
http://www.sowetan.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=703699
Car-spin riot killing
Andrew Hlongwane
12 February 2008
At least one man was shot dead and seven police officers were injured in
Mpumalanga on Sunday following a confrontation with car spinners.
A police van was also burnt to ashes during the scuffle in Bhuka Trust near
Nelspruit.
Police said they were patrolling the main road on Sunday afternoon when they
spotted a crowd that had gathered to watch a car-spinning spectacle as part
of a sendoff for a deceased taxi owner.
"We tried to instruct them to stop drinking in public and ululating because
this was disturbing public safety on a busy road. But the residents ignored
the police and continued drinking and cheering the spinners," said Constable
Muzi Ngomane of KaBokweni police.
"We then called for backup from our KaBokweni police and the nearby
KaNyamazane police station to help control the situation. When the officers
arrived the situation turned ugly."
He said stones, bottles and other objects were thrown at the police, forcing
them to fire rubber bullets at the unruly crowd.
"Unfortunately one of the officers mistakenly used a live bullet and shot
one of the residents.
"The victim was taken to Themba Hospital in KaBokweni where he died on
arrival," said Ngomane.
In the ensuing chaos, seven officers sustained minor injuries and were
treated at the local clinic.
One of the police vans was left behind when the injured officers were taken
for treatment and it was burnt to ashes.
Four suspects were arrested and charged with attempted murder, arson,
drinking in public and malicious damage to property.
The suspects will appear in KaBokweni magistrate's court today.
More information about the Onthebarricades
mailing list