[Onthebarricades] PALESTINE/ISRAEL: Protests and actions inside Israel, Sept-Oct 07
Andy
ldxar1 at tesco.net
Fri Oct 5 16:23:26 PDT 2007
* Arabs launch boycott of El Al
* Israeli draft resisted
* Strike by Israeli-Arab teachers averted after concessions
* Palestinians resist blockade of al-Aqsa as Ramadan begins
* Arab-Israelis call for boycott of national service
* Israeli Arabs mark anniversary of unrest
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=904851&contrassID=1&subContrassID=7
Last update - 18:39 18/09/2007
Arab sector heads plan boycott of El Al over 'harassing' security probes
By Yoav Stern and Zohar Blumenkrantz, Haaretz Correspondents
The leaders of the Arab sector on Tuesday announced plans to boycott El Al
Airlines to protest the company's "harassment" and "interrogation" of Arab
passengers at airports and border crossings.
At this stage, the protest will be carried out only by members of Arab
institutions, though it is likely that others from the Arab sector will be
called to join. The boycott was announced Tuesday by Amir Mahool, chairman
of the national council for the protection of freedom.
Many Arab citizens have complained about intensive security checks they are
forced to undergo at the airport, which can include humiliating questions
and separation from the other passengers.
Advertisement
The council, which for the last years has been associated with the Higher
Arab Monitoring Committee, has recently separated to become an independently
active association.
The council was initially formed a few years ago as a body of support for
Sheikh Ra'ad Salah and the Islamic Movement. The group comprises
representatives from various political parties and movements, and acts to
ensure the freedom of Arab bodies and personalities "being politically
persecuted by Israel and its mechanisms of oppression."
The council has also called on Jordan to avoid cooperation with Israeli
security services. According to Mahool, when Arab organizations in Israel
are under investigation, Jordan conducts parallel probes of groups
associated with these organizations.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070924/wl_nm/israel_draft_dc_3
Young Israelis dodge the draft, some in protest
By Elana Ringler and Rebecca Harrison Mon Sep 24, 8:08 AM ET
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - To many she is a traitor, a coward and a parasite. But
17-year-old Israeli "draft dodger" Saar Vardi says if more people thought
like her, the Middle East would be a more peaceful place.
Vardi is part of a growing group of young Israelis who are refusing to sign
up for mandatory military service, often in protest over the Jewish state's
occupation of Palestinian territory or because of last year's unpopular war
in Lebanon.
Army statistics show the number of young people who do not enlist for
military service has crept up in recent years to more than 1 in 4 men in
2007 and more than 43 percent of women.
"People refer to me as a traitor and say that my country has given me so
much and I'm not willing to give anything back, like a parasite," Vardi, a
student, told Reuters.
"But I know what I believe ... If truly everyone saw things the way I see
them then we wouldn't need an army."
Most Israeli men have to serve for three years in the army and are liable
for reserve duty after that unless they can prove they are physically or
psychologically unfit for battle, or come from an ultra-Orthodox background.
Women must do 21 months.
Until recently, opting out of military service was largely taboo in a nation
born out of war, and in constant conflict with its Arab neighbors. Groups of
young soldiers clutching rifles are a common sight on the streets of Israel
and for many, serving in the army goes to the core of national identity.
The trend to avoid the draft -- which has been joined by some
entertainers -- has sparked heated media debate and government pledges to
act.
"When he goes into battle a soldier should not have to feel that a portion
of our society regards him as a sucker," Defence Minister Ehud Barak was
reported as saying in July.
"It's time to go back to the days when service was a right and an honor and
shirking was like wearing the mark of Cain."
"CANCER"
Ultra Orthodox Jews have been exempt from military service for years, and
their ranks are growing. But more secular Israelis are also finding ways
around joining up, sometimes by saying they are conscientious objectors or
unfit.
Some say they are loath to fight for an occupying force and are willing to
go to jail for their beliefs.
Others say they do not trust Ehud Olmert's government with their lives after
a report said the prime minister acted impulsively in going to war against
Lebanon last year.
And some young Israelis would simply rather focus on their education or
career than on defending their country.
"There's the ongoing wars and the ongoing occupation," said Hagay Matar, who
spent two years in prison for refusing the draft. "People are starting to
feel they don't have to do it."
But several mayors have vowed not to allow entertainers who did not enlist
to take part in Israel's 60th anniversary celebrations next year, and one
suggested denying them jobs in municipal government.
Some commentators have lambasted those who shun military service, reminding
them they face jail.
"Draft dodging is a cancer that eats away at the foundations of Israel as a
society," said Eitan Haber, a columnist writing in Israel's most popular
daily Yedioth Ahronoth. "They don't want to serve? They will get a mess kit
and a prison uniform."
"WHAT'S ISRAEL DYING FOR?"
But those who resist military service have also found support. Columnist
Yonatan Gefen asked in the Ma'ariv newspaper why Israel's young people would
want to fight in an army "that doesn't know what it is dying for."
Israel should favor a leaner, professional military over conscription and
focus on technology and intelligence instead of numbers, particularly since
military might did not help it get rid of guerrillas in Lebanon, said
another commentator.
"Modern wars are not won by masses of foot soldiers," wrote columnist Gabi
Nitzam in Yedioth Ahronoth last month.
Israel is trying to make the army more attractive for young people by
allowing promising sportsmen, musicians and even fashion models to do their
military service away from the frontline while pursuing their careers.
The government is also planning to launch a civilian service program, which
would allow conscientious objectors, the physically unfit, ultra Orthodox
Jews and Israeli Arabs -- who are exempt from the draft -- a chance to serve
in other ways.
Reuven Gal, who headed a team that drew up recommendations to government for
the new program, said Israelis should have the option to shun the army as
long as they did not shirk national duty entirely.
"We want to create a norm whereby a person who does not enlist goes to
civilian service," Gal was quoted as saying. "We should not generalize and
say that draft-dodgers should be strung up in the city square."
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3444302,00.html
Arab sector cancels school strike
Mediated by President Shimon Peres, negotiations between Arab sector
representatives and Education Ministry reach agreement: NIS 100 million
added to Arab sector school budgets
Moran Zelikovich
Published: 08.31.07, 17:25 / Israel News
Following suit with the Middle and High School Teachers Association and the
Sderot Teachers Committee, the Arab sector has also cancelled threats to
strike on the first day of school.
Negotiations between the Education Ministry and Interior Ministry supervised
by President Shimon Peres ended successfully, and thus 460,000 Arab students
will start school as planned this Sunday.
The budget for Arab sector schools will get an additional NIS 100 million,
it was agreed. In addition, 40 thousand school hours will be added, totaling
NIS 21.9 million, and four new committees to examine education in the Arab
sector will be established. The committees will examine the state of pupils'
academic achievement, educational content, development and learning
disabilities.
The committees will start work in October and will be demanded to present
their conclusions in three months time.
Raja Zaatara, a member of the Arab educational affairs monitoring committee,
welcomed the agreements.
"Since Education Minister Yuli Tamir assumed her position, they've tried to
ignore our demands. Now, thanks to President Peres' mediation, we've made
some achievements. For some reason people assumed that if the education
minister was left-wing, then our demands would be met with less of a
struggle and there would be more attention paid to problems in the Arab
sector, but that didn't happen. Now we feel that we're starting to reach
significant achievements."
In recent weeks intensive negotiations were held between representatives of
the Education Ministry, the Arab sector, representatives of local
authorities, and the director generals of the Interior and Education
Ministries regarding the demands. Representatives of the Arab sector charged
that school infrastructure was poor and there was a severe lack of
classrooms, as well as budgetary funds to improve the education system.
The representatives further noted about the great disparity between the
Jewish and Arab sectors regarding pupils' achievements on matriculation
exams.
http://euronews.net/index.php?page=info&article=442715&lng=1
Tensions in Jerusalem as Ramadam begins
On the first day of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan there have been
scuffles between Israeli police and pilgrims from the West Bank trying to
get to Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa mosque, one of Islam's most sacred sites.
Security has been stepped up this year as the start of Ramadan has coincided
with celebrations marking the Jewish new year.
Checkpoints have been reinforced in the West Bank and around Jerusalem with
large crowds expected to make their way to the city. Access to the area of
the Al-Aqsa mosque, which also contains the Temple Mount, sacred to Jews,
has been restricted. Only Palestinian men aged 45 and over, and women aged
35 and over are being allowed in to attend Friday prayers.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=903722&contrassID=1&subContrassID=7
Last update - 01:02 15/09/2007
IDF blocks West Bank Palestinians trying to reach Al-Aqsa Mosque
By The Associated Press
Hundreds of Palestinians thronged two major West Bank checkpoints, trying to
reach Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque on the first Friday of the Muslim holy
month of Ramadan, despite tight Israeli restrictions.
Israel Defense Forces troops turned back many of the West Bank faithful.
Only men above the age of 45 and women above the age of 35, who had also
obtained special permits, were allowed to enter Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque -
the third holiest shrine of Islam - said police spokesman Shmuel Ben-Ruby.
This year, the start of Ramadan, a month of fasting and religious
observance, coincided with the Jewish New Year. As customary, Israel imposed
a blanket closure on the West Bank during the Jewish holiday, barring
virtually all Palestinians from entering Israel.
Advertisement
Hundreds of Israeli police were deployed in streets and alleys in and around
Jerusalem's walled Old City, where the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound is located.
Troops also took up positions at two major West Bank checkpoints, one to the
south of Jerusalem and one to the north. The checkpoints are built into
Israel's West Bank separation fence, which rings most of Jerusalem to
control Palestinian movement into Israel.
At the southern checkpoint, near Bethlehem, hundreds of Palestinians, many
of them elderly, pushed up against police lines set up near the separation
barrier. At one point, the crowd pushed through the police line. One woman
crawled on her hands and knees, another fell to the ground as people behind
her surged forward. IDF troops shouted at people to get back.
At the northern Qalandiyah crossing, near the city of Ramallah, hundreds of
people waited to pass.
Hamdi Abu Fadi, 44, was turned back because he didn't meet the age
requirement. Abu Fadi said he'd try to sneak into Jerusalem in another area,
in hopes of reaching Al-Aqsa. Prayers performed at the shrine are considered
more powerful than worship in another mosque.
Palestinians have long complained that Israel is violating their right to
freedom of worship by restricting access to a major shrine. "It's a crime
against us all year long, whether during Ramadan or any other month," said
Abu Fadi.
Israel says it imposes the restrictions to prevent possible attacks by
Palestinian militants.
Ramadan is a time of heightened religious fervor, which security officials
fear could increase the motivation for carrying out attacks.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3449201,00.html
Arab-Israeli group: National service offshoot of occupation army
Baladna launches campaign calling on Arab-Israeli youngsters to boycott
national service program. 'A state that doesn't recognize the national and
collective existence of the Arab public cannot claim that it knows what this
public's true needs are,' group says
Roee Nahmias
Published: 09.13.07, 23:44 / Israel News
Baladna - the Association for Arab Youth - is expected to launch a campaign
Friday calling on young Arab-Israelis to boycott the national service, which
it referred to as "an offshoot of the IDF".
The campaign's slogan will be: "National service - your way to the army".
A week-and-a-half ago the Higher Arab Monitoring Committee of Israeli Arabs
launched a campaign against the government's intention to enforce mandatory
national service on the country's Arab citizens, who are exempt from
military service.
The committee decided to form a special taskforce to combat the government's
decision which "contradicts the political, nationalistic and civil beliefs
of the Arab leadership in Israel".
'Government still has a lot to prove'
Baladna officials said in a statement that "despite what the government
claims, the national service is a branch of the occupation army, which has
always acted against the Arab-Israeli population and the Palestinian people
in general.
"Therefore, any attempt to present the national or civil service as social
activity constitutes a deception of the public in general and the Arab
public in particular," the officials said.
As part of the campaign, a conference calling on young Arab-Israelis to
boycott the program will be held in cooperation with the Higher Arab
Monitoring Committee of Israeli Arabs.
In addition, prominent Arab filmmakers, actors and musicians will take part
in a special event to promote the campaign.
According to Baladna, "a state that doesn't recognize the national and
collective existence of the Arab public cannot claim that it knows what this
public's true needs are, and therefore cannot determine how young Arabs can
best serve Arab society.
"Since its inception Israeli has been intentionally ignoring the Arab
public's needs - so the government still has a lot to prove before it
preaches to the Arabs about good citizenship," the group said.
Baladna director Nadim Nashef told Ynet, "We decided to launch the campaign
following the government's decision regarding national service. We fear that
this decision will lead to an initiative that would obligate all Arab
youngsters to serve."
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=908462&contrassID=1&subContrassID=7
Israeli Arabs demonstrate in Umm al-Fahm to mark October 2000 riots
By Yoav Stern, Haaretz Correspondent
At the junction near the entrance to Umm al-Fahm, several dozen political
activists demonstrated on Saturday with family members of those killed
during the October 2000 clashes. They carried huge Palestinian flags and
posters with the photographs of the 13 dead, the fourth such demonstration
in the past two weeks.
Seven years have passed since the incident that redefined the relationship
between Arab citizens of Israel and the state. To date - and contrary to the
spirit of the recommendations made by the Or Commission examining the
events - no indictment was brought against any of those who shot the 13
dead, nor against any senior officials.
The Justice Ministry issued a statement recently saying that the attorney
general has held many discussions on the matter, and these deliberations
have still not been completed.
The events of 2000 will be officially commemorated with a procession at 3 PM
Monday down the central street of Sakhnin, with the participation of most of
the bereaved families.
A candlelight procession will be held at Kafr Kana tonight at 8 PM. Leaders
of the Arab community will also visit the various memorial sites in the
north.
The Monitoring Committee, the most senior public organization of the Arab
community, has called on party activists not to participate in the
processions carrying party flags.
There is a fundamental disagreement among Arab political organizations in
Israel on how to view the October incidents. On one end of the spectrum
stands Hadash, which in recent years has followed a path aiming to moderate
the protest. On the other end stands Balad and the Islamic Movement, which
calls for intensifying the protest. Central to the
argument is the historical context of the events.
In contrast with previous anniversaries, there have been no calls by the
Monitoring Committee to hold a strike in the Arab communities. Last year
there was a vociferous debate on the issue, and in the end it was agreed to
follow the Hadash recommendation and avoid a strike.
Only a few hundred people participated in the commemorations in Sakhnin last
year, which was very disappointing for the bereaved families and the
politicians, and served as further proof that the general public does not
support major protests.
At Hadash they say that the incidents of October 2000 are the most
significant events in a line of events that influence the Arab Israeli
public, but stress that the most important event is Land Day in 1976.
During those events, Rakah, the predecessor of Hadash, was the organizing
force, and six Israeli Arabs were killed in clashes with the authorities.
Balad, on the other hand, considers the October 2000 clashes as a breaking
point.
Hadash chairman MK Mohammed Barakeh told Haaretz this week that Land Day "is
a watershed, the event that separates between two periods. Before that day
we followed Mapai and its offshoots, and after that we emerged tall."
Barakeh stressed that it should not be forgotten that it is the Israeli
establishment that is responsible for the crimes carried out on October
2000, because "it drowned in blood" those who tried to "express legitimate
solidarity with the Palestinian people."
In 1976, the Islamic Movement was still not considered a significant
political power in the Arab street, and Balad had still not been
established. However in 2000, both movements were quite dominant, and both
invest considerable effort in commemorating the incidents.
"This is a central event in the history of the Arab Israeli public," MK
Jamal Zahalka, chairman of Balad, told Haaretz this week. "It does not
compete with Land Day, but it is no less important. Politically, the events
of October 2000 are very important to us."
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.resist.ca/pipermail/onthebarricades/attachments/20071006/f215d6cc/attachment.html>
More information about the Onthebarricades
mailing list