[Onthebarricades] AFGHANISTAN: Locals blockade Kandahar highway in protest over civilian deaths
Andy
ldxar1 at tesco.net
Mon Oct 1 16:09:07 PDT 2007
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5j8IVPcb28LLU9X4L69XJo80SH9tA
Canada won't bribe Afghans after protest over civilian deaths: officer
4 days ago
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - A military official says Canada will continue to build ties with Afghans but won't rush in with "bribes" because of a false belief that Canadian soldiers were involved in the deaths of two Afghan civilians.
Angry Afghans closed the main highway out of Kandahar city on Wednesday, blaming international troops, including Canada, for the deaths of a religious scholar and his brother during a raid on a suspected insurgent's home the night before.
Some of the approximately 500 protesters chanted "Death to Canada," along with other nations involved in the war against the Taliban. Most of the anger was directed toward the United States.
Military officials say no Canadian soldiers were involved, but the family of the dead men demanded amends on Thursday.
"My cousins are killed illogically," said Abdul Hai, 25. "They must be given compensation."
Qudratullah, an area elder at age 39, said the family should receive land or money for the deaths.
"There are 18 family members left at the same house, including children and women," said Qudratullah.
"Only one man remains at the family to feed the family, so that makes no sense that one man can feed the 18 family members."
But Lt. Derrick Farnham, spokesman for the Provincial Reconstruction Team that works closely with Afghans on development and rebuilding projects in Kandahar province, said that his team will not react by offering "treats."
"That's something that's been done in the past and it's been termed 'the great game' in Afghanistan, where locals play one side off the other in terms of getting treats and gifts," Farnham said Thursday.
"That's something we want to avoid."
"We don't want to be in a situation where we're seen as just bribing people who have a grudge against us because that puts us up against insurgents who can likewise bribe."
International forces have come under scathing criticism for the mounting toll of civilian casualties in Afghanistan. President Hamid Karzai has said these incidents undermine efforts to win the trust of the people.
Although verification is difficult as fighting continues, independent counts of civilian deaths by the United Nations and The Associated Press suggest about 600 civilians have been killed so far this year by both sides.
The international coalition says the Taliban has falsely reported civilian deaths in order to discredit foreign troops and undermine their efforts with the public.
Already, Farnham said there are areas where Canadians are just not welcome, particularly in the Zhari district, the birthplace of the Taliban movement and a stronghold of the insurgency.
"Zhari is peculiar because there's almost a straight line that separates one side from the other and we don't have good access to the side that doesn't want us there," Farnham said.
There are areas where Canadians are just not wanted, he said, not because the residents themselves are insurgents but because of fear. "They're unwilling to take our assistance because of the fear," Farnham said.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.resist.ca/pipermail/onthebarricades/attachments/20071002/e915636e/attachment.html>
More information about the Onthebarricades
mailing list