[Onthebarricades] Peace protests, October 2007
Andy
ldxar1 at tesco.net
Sun Nov 11 18:41:05 PST 2007
Police seriously need to stop whining. So people held a sit-down protest to
disrupt parliament - so what? Not everyone worships the law the way these
fanatics do. These scum had themselves attacked the right to protest
beforehand, how can they then expect protesters' indulgence? They should
feel grateful that their repression did not meet with a sterner response.
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1393860
Four arrested at UK anti-war protest
Oct 9, 2007 7:43 AM
Police arrested four people during an anti-war protest which was given the
go-ahead only at the eleventh-hour, Scotland Yard said.
The four were detained for offences including assault on police officers and
obstruction.
Hundreds of protesters marched from Trafalgar Square to parliament to call
for the government to withdraw troops from Iraq as politicians gathered on
the first day after the summer recess.
Police, who had earlier threatened to use a Victorian law to prevent the
Stop the War Coalition demonstration, said the protesters had broken an
agreement.
"It was disappointing that, after assurances from organisers that they had
no intention of disrupting parliament or preventing MPs from attending, a
group of demonstrators held a sit-down protest in the road in Parliament
Square," Deputy Assistant Commissioner Chris Allison said in a statement.
"To my mind this was not about lawful protest but about those who wished to
deliberately flout the law and inconvenience others."
Permission to hold the event was given less than an hour before the start,
organisers said.
Authorities had effectively banned the march under the Metropolitan Police
Act of 1839, which dates from the time of the Chartist protest movement, a
period when the ruling class believed they were on the brink of social
revolution.
The Stop the War Coalition had been determined to go ahead with the march
even without the official green light.
Convener Lindsey German told BBC Radio Four: "We think, in a democracy, we
should be allowed to go to our parliament."
She also questioned the timing of the move.
"We have to ask: why is it (the Act) being raised at this time? I guess that
Gordon Brown would like to draw a line under the war in Iraq and
demonstrations on the first day that parliament comes back are probably an
embarrassment to the government."
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article2687692.ece
>From Times Online
October 18, 2007
Thousands of Kurds mount peaceful protest against threat of Turkish attack
Deborah Haynes, of The Times, in Zakho, close to the Turkish border
Waving colourful banners and Kurdish flags, thousands of people demonstrated
across northern Iraq today in protest at the growing threat of a big
military incursion by Turkey to hunt down Kurdish rebels.
The peaceful rallies took place as leaders of the semi-autonomous Kurdish
region met to respond to a decision by the Turkish Parliament yesterday to
authorise the deployment of troops across the mountainous border that
divides the two countries to crush members of the outlawed Kurdistan
Workers' Party (PKK).
"Understanding each other is better than killing each other," read one of
the many slogans that daubed the banners brandished by demonstrators, old
and young, in the regional capital of Erbil and Dohuk, the closest Kurdish
city to Turkey.
Another banner declared: "The language of threat is no more."
Related Links
· Turkey votes for attacks on rebels in Iraq
· Kurdish separatists vow bloody resistance
Organised by student unions, advocacy groups and other civil society
movements, the protests attracted at least 10,000 people in Erbil and more
than 5,000 in Dohuk.
A smaller rally also took place in Sheladze, a town about 20km (13 miles)
south of the Turkish border, while about 1,500 minority Turkomen in the
northern city of Tal Afar demonstrated in solidarity with the Kurds.
"We are protesting because we do not want the Turkish Army to enter the
Kurdish region," said Renas Jano, 28, President of the Kurdistan Students'
Union, which organised the Erbil protest that ended outside the United
Nations' office in the city.
"We will continue this action...We will use every, civil method," he told
The Times.
He like many others was prepared to fight for his freedom alongside the
Kurdish region's Peshmerga security force if Turkey did cross the border.
In Dohuk, the atmosphere was similarly passionate, with protestors holding
high the sunshine flag of the Kurdish region, which sits on a backdrop of
red, white and green.
"We are ready to defend our land," said Nasser Ali, 25, a teacher on the
rally, which similarly led to an office of the UN where a document was
submitted calling on the world body to stop any Turkish activity inside
Iraq.
District leaders around the Kurdish region have also been holding meetings
with local people to explain the situation. In Zakho, a town only 10km from
Turkey, Rezgar Zakhoy, a senior member of the Kurdistan Democratic Party
(KDP), one of the two main political parties in the regional government,
addressed a crowd of about 150 concerned men and women.
"It is clear that there is now a threat in the area,"said Dr Zakhoy, who
explained that he was passing on a message from Massud Barzani, President of
the Iraqi Kurdish region, after a meeting with him this week.
Dr Zakhoy, KDP leader in the district, which is home to more than 200,000
people, emphasised that the chances of Turkey carrying out a serious
incursion were very weak. But he told his audience: "We are not afraid.
Today the Peshmerga are in the prepared places and they are ready to defend
Kurdistan and when it is needed we will all join them to defend our land."
Speaking to The Times before the town meeting, the senior politician called
on the United States to help, saying that it was responsible for securing
the whole of Iraq under a special UN resolution.
"We ask the United Nations and the United States, according to article 1483,
to protect the Kurdish people because we do not have the power to confront
this Turkish force," Dr Zakhoy said. "We are asking for them to come and
protect us."
Turkey's vote yesterday removed the last legal obstacle to an offensive
against the PKK across the border in northern Iraq, but there was no sign of
imminent action as the US and the Iraqi Government urged restraint.
Kurdish rebels have been fighting for autonomy in the southeast of Turkey
since 1984 in a conflict that has killed more than 30,000 people.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/10/counterprotest_against_code_pi.html
October 19, 2007
Counter-Protest Against Code Pink in "The Lion's Den"
Rick Moran
It may have been a first for the city of Berkeley, California. A large group
of protesters supporting the troops far outnumbered a rag-tag group of
leftists who were agitating against a Marine recruitment office smack in the
middle of downtown:
Flag-waving demonstrators far outnumbered a group of peace advocates who
were protesting a U.S. Marine Corps recruiting center in downtown on
Wednesday. But groups on both sides of Shattuck Avenue slowed traffic and
jammed sidewalks as they shouted back and forth at each other.
Police kept the two competing groups across the street from each other;
there were no arrests. One protester who was burning something was cited by
police after he was warned by officers not to burn anything in public, said
police spokeswoman Sgt. Mary Kusmiss.
Protests in Berkeley are nothing new. A protest of a protest is unique --
even in Berkeley. On one side of the street was CodePINK, Grandmothers
Against the War, Berkeley East Bay Gray Panthers, Women in Black and other
peace groups holding "no war" signs and chanting "out of Iraq." On the other
were military veterans, mothers and fathers of soldiers, members of the UC
Berkeley College Republicans and Melanie Morgan, whose conservative talk
show airs on KSFO. They waved American flags and chanted "USA, USA, USA."
The recruitment office was forced to move from nearby Alameda when the
building they were occupying was slated for destruction. So the Marines, not
ones to back away from a fight, boldly set up shop in a city that boasts one
of the only truly socialist local governments in the United States.
The results were predictable. The office has been defaced by graffitti
several times and protests are a daily occurrence.
Conservative talk show host Melanie Morgan was incensed at the defacement as
well as the harrassment of potential recruits and organized the
counter-demonstration. Hundreds turned out to support the Marines.
We are actually seeing more and more of this attempt to counter anti-war
protestors across the country - something that was not done during the Viet
Nam war. But with talk radio and the internet, it has become possible for
conservatives to organize better and push back against the radicals who
oppose the troops and the military.
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iXiWeWCw11vMr02mhG3bnLDslK8A
Antiwar protests draw thousands of demonstrators across the United States
Oct 27, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO - Thousands of people called for a swift end to the war in
Iraq as they marched through downtown Saturday, chanting and carrying signs
that read: "Wall Street Gets Rich, Iraqis and GIs Die" or "Drop Tuition Not
Bombs."
The streets were filled with thousands as labour union members, antiwar
activists, clergy and others rallied near City Hall before marching to
Dolores Park.
As part of the demonstration, protesters fell on Market Street as part of a
"die in" to commemorate the thousands of American soldiers and Iraqi
citizens who have died since the conflict began in March 2003.
The protest was the largest in a series of war protests taking place in New
York, Los Angeles and other U.S. cities, organizers said.
No official head count was available. Organizers of the event estimated
about 30,000 people participated in San Francisco. It appeared that more
than 10,000 people attended the march.
"I got the sense that many people were at a demonstration for the first
time," said Sarah Sloan, one of the event's organizers. "That's something
that's really changed. People have realized the right thing to do is to take
to the streets."
In the shadow of the National Constitution Center and Independence Hall in
Philadelphia, a few hundred protesters ranging from grade school-aged
children to senior citizens called on President George W. Bush to end
funding for the war and bring troops home.
Marchers who braved severe wet weather during the walk of more than 30
blocks were met by people lining the sidewalks and clutching a long yellow
ribbon over the final blocks before Independence Mall. There, the rally
opened with songs and prayers by descendants of Lenape Indians.
"Our signs are limp from the rain and the ground is soggy, but out spirits
are high," said Bal Pinguel, of the American Friends Service Committee, one
of the national sponsors of the event. "The high price we are paying is the
more than 3,800 troops who have been killed in the war in Iraq."
Vince Robbins, 51, of Mount Holly, N.J., said there needed to be more
rallies and more outrage.
"Where's the outcry? Where's the horror that almost 4,000 Americans have
died in a foreign country that we invaded?" Robbins said. "I'm almost as
angry at the American people as I am the president. I think Americans have
become apathetic and placid about the whole thing."
In New York, among the thousands marching down Broadway was a man carrying
cardboard peace doves. Some others dressed as prisoners, wearing the bright
orange garb of Guantanamo Bay inmates and pushing a person in a cage.
In Seattle, thousands of marchers were led by a small group of Iraq war
veterans.
At Occidental Park, where the protesters rallied after the march, the
American Friends Service Committee displayed scores of combat boots, one
pair for each U.S. solider killed in Iraq.
http://voanews.com/english/2007-10-28-voa8.cfm
Thousands Protest In 11 US Cities Against Iraq War
By Amy Bickers
Seattle
28 October 2007
Bickers report (mp3) - Download 625k
Listen to Bickers report (mp3)
Peace activists demonstrated in at least 11 cities across the United States
Saturday to mark the fifth anniversary of the vote by the U.S. Senate
approving the Iraq war. As Amy Bickers reports from the northwestern city of
Seattle, the message was the same everywhere - end the war and bring the
troops home.
Thousands of people participate in a demonstration against war in Iraq as
part of a national day of protest in New York, 27 Oct 2007
Tens of thousands of anti-war activists protested across America Saturday
calling for a swift finish to the war in Iraq and demanding a cut-off of
U.S. congressional funding.
The anti-war demonstrations took place in several major cities, including
New York, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles and Seattle. In
Boston, protester Myra Wilson said she felt positive about the impact of the
rallies.
"I feel empowered," said Wilson. "I feel like we have a very large support
for our troops to be home and this war to end. It is unnecessary."
In Seattle, protester Duncan Bond expressed frustration at the government's
handling of the war.
"I think people are getting to the point where they have just had enough.
They've had enough of what the [Bush] administration is doing," said Bond.
"They've had enough of Democrats not doing anything to stop things. And
people are very frustrated and they are glad to get out here."
Protesters across the United States marched through downtown streets,
holding anti-war signs and chanting. The demonstrations brought together
young and old, including grade school children, senior citizens and labor
union activists.
In New York, thousands marched down Broadway in rainy weather, including one
man carrying cardboard peace doves. Others dressed as prisoners, wearing
bright orange outfits reminiscent of Guantanamo Bay inmates and pushing a
person in a cage.
In San Francisco, news reports said more than 10,000 people took part.
Protesters along Market Street dropped to the ground to honor the thousands
of American troops and Iraqi citizens who have died since the war started in
March 2003.
In some cities, small counter-demonstrations by war supporters were also
held.
The protests come on the fifth anniversary of the vote by the U.S. Senate
authorizing the Iraq invasion.
Some protesters also expressed fears about nuclear weapons and what some
consider the growing possibility of U.S. military intervention in Iran over
its nuclear program.
While most of the peace rallies took place in major urban areas, activists
also marched in Jonesborough, Tennessee, the location of a company that is
the largest producer of weapons that use depleted uranium.
Saturday's so-called "National Day of Action" was organized by a coalition
of groups called United for Peace and Justice.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20071027-1633-ca-anti-warprotest.html
Demonstrators rally in San Francisco to protest Iraq war
SAN FRANCISCO - Thousands of anti-war demonstrators marched through downtown
San Francisco under sunny skies on Saturday, staging a "die in," chanting
slogans and carrying signs to protest the war in Iraq.
The streets were filled with thousands of laborers, anti-war activists,
clergy and others who rallied near City Hall before marching to Dolores
Park.
As part of the demonstration, protesters fell to the ground as part of a
"die in" to commemorate the thousands of American soldiers and Iraqi
citizens who have died since the conflict began in March 2003.
Labor unions including the Service Employees International Union and seven
Bay area labor councils.
"More and more union members are seeing the war's impact on our schools,
transportation and health care systems because money is being spent abroad
that could be spent at home," said Sharon Cornu of the Alameda Labor
Council.
Similar anti-war protests are taking place in New York, Los Angeles and
other major U.S. cities.
Congresswoman Barbara Lee and activist Cindy Sheehan spoke at the City Hall
rally.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7075724.stm
Campaigners make Trident protest
Protesters called for the scrapping of the Trident weapons system
Hundreds of campaigners have marched through Edinburgh to protest about the
Trident nuclear weapons system.
The march and rally was intended to put pressure on the UK Government to
remove all nuclear weapons from Scottish soil.
Police said about 1,200 people took part in the event which was a follow-up
to last month's Trident summit, organised by the Scottish Government.
The SNP-administration is against the renewal of Britain's nuclear
deterrent, which is based at Faslane on the Clyde.
Scottish soil
The march and rally was organised by the Scotland's For Peace campaign,
which includes religious, trade union and peace groups.
It began at the Scottish Parliament before heading to Princes Street
Gardens.
Campaigners then attended a rally where SNP MSP Shirley-Anne Somerville read
out a message of support from First Minister Alex Salmond.
It said: "The position of the Scottish Government is clear - we are opposed
to the replacement of the Trident system and the deployment of weapons of
mass destruction on Scottish soil."
Scotland now has a real opportunity to make a decisive contribution to
disarmament by stopping the replacement of Trident
Isobel Lindsay
Scotland's for Peace
In her speech the Lothians MSP said: "We want Scotland to be a force for
peace in the world, not a storage depot for weapons of mass destruction."
She added: "Trident is economically inept and morally repugnant.
"Its presence on our shore is an insult to democracy and an insult to all of
us who believe peace is preserved by persuasion and diplomacy not threats
and aggression."
Other politicians at the event included John Barrett, the Liberal Democrat
MP for Edinburgh West and Patrick Harvie, a Green MSP for Glasgow.
Representatives of the Church of Scotland, the Catholic Church and the
Muslim Association of Scotland also attended, along with Phil McGarry, the
president of the Scottish Trades Union Congress.
Scotland's for Peace convener Isobel Lindsay said: "Scotland now has a real
opportunity to make a decisive contribution to disarmament by stopping the
replacement of Trident and this would be an initiative that would have an
international impact for good."
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/Rest_of_World/Canadians_protest_war_in_Afghanistan_call_for_troop_pullout_/articleshow/2496343.cms
Canadians protest war in Afghanistan, call for troop pullout
28 Oct 2007, 0525 hrs IST,AFP
MONTREAL: Canadians protested in numerous cities across the country Saturday
to call for the return of their soldiers from Afghanistan, local media and
protest organizers reported.
"The people of Canada grow ever more upset with this war and are calling for
our troops to be brought home alive," said Bob Ages of the Canadian Peace
Alliance, which organized protests in 22 cities.
About 300 people demonstrated in Montreal beginning at mid-day, according to
Radio Canada.
"The global movement that erupted around the Iraq war is growing again to
challenge the occupation of Afghanistan and the so-called War on Terror,"
Ages said in a statement.
Canada has a contingent of 2,500 soldiers deployed in southern Afghanistan,
and 71 Canadians have died in the country since the mission began in 2002.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper recently reiterated his support for the
mission up through 2011.
But the mission has currently an official expiration date of February 2009.
More information about the Onthebarricades
mailing list