[Onthebarricades] Racist police terror in South London

Andy ldxar1 at tesco.net
Fri Mar 16 21:34:51 PDT 2007


http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0225croydon/tm_headline=-riot--averted-as-police-accused-of-racism&method=full&objectid=18764008&siteid=53340-name_page.html

'Riot' averted as police accused of racism
AN ANGRY crowd accused police of "racism" amid chaotic scenes in a gang 
crackdown shortly after Friday's stabbing.
About six plain clothed officers ran from the crime scene to the nearby 
McDonald's, apparently to head off further trouble.
They appeared to square up to a group of black youths outside the 
restaurant's front entrance.
Several teenagers were shoved almost to the floor by officers and shouted at 
to stay away from the situation.
The youths reacted angrily and as scuffles broke out one was heard shouting 
furiously: "Give me your ******* badge number."

A street vendor, who did not want to be named, said: "I was here talking to 
someone and the next thing I know the police were arguing with a young black 
youth.
"The police officer pushed him and then his friend intervened and asked for 
his badge number. The youth who had been asking for the number walked off 
but they decided to grab him.
"He ended up being arrested with such force his shoe came off. People were 
being pushed around after that, including me.
"I told the officer he could-n't do that and that's when he slowed down. I 
would say the police were being racist. There was nearly a riot."
Mum Terri Hall, 34, of Norbury, also witnessed the chaotic scenes outside 
the fast food restaurant.
She said: "They were just shoving these kids to the floor. The kids were 
getting wound up and shouting back at the officers. Then they were getting 
arrested."
One college student, still wearing a rucksack, shouted his innocence to 
onlookers as he was arrested by several officers.
The crowd dispersed after back-up, including uniformed police and a riot 
van, arrived and at least two more arrests were made.
Borough Commander Chief Superintendent Mark Gore said on Monday that he was 
not in a position to comment on the incident.
A police spokeswoman added: "No complaints of inappropriate police action 
have been received." 





More information about the Onthebarricades mailing list