[Onthebarricades] Indonesian squatters/traders revolt against police, rout patrol
Andy
ldxar1 at tesco.net
Thu Feb 1 00:21:39 PST 2007
Officers caught in 'zero tolerance' backlash
Jakarta Post - January 27, 2007
Jakarta -- As the real estate sector has heated up,
evictions carried out on "public order grounds" have
become more and more routine.
Following a series of evictions in different North
and West Jakarta over the last week, squatters and
street traders feel so vulnerable that even the sight
of public order officers can spark chaos.
The evictions culminated Friday in a brawl between
street traders in Salemba, Central Jakarta, and
public order officers. Antara reported the brawl
started when street traders in the area saw four
pick-up trucks filled with public order officers and
thought they were going to be the next to go.
Traders started pelting stones at the passing
vehicles, sparking anger from the officers who got
out of their trucks to "rough up" the traders.
Local residents and college students in the area were
seen in the crowd, supporting the traders.
Outnumbered, the officers fled the scene, leaving
behind a pick-up truck, which was later demolished by
the angry crowd.
"This was only a misunderstanding. Traders were
assuming they were going to be evicted as they saw
the passing officers," said Taryo, one of the street
traders in the area.
Kenari subdistrict head Prasetyo Kurniawan said the
public order officers were heading to a settlement
area on the Ciliwung River to carry out backyard
poultry inspections.
The incident might be an indication of the ill-
feeling toward the authorities that has developed
with the upsurge in evictions.
Hundreds of squatters living under the Rawabebek
overpass in Kalijodo, North Jakarta, lost their homes
Thursday when public order officers bulldozed their
illegal settlement. They are now living in makeshift
tents.
Earlier this week, vendors running stalls on a 3,500-
square-meter property belonging to the Indonesian
Navy in Pedongkelan, North Jakarta, were relocated to
a much smaller area.
The vendors said the relocation site provided by the
city administration was not strategic and a third of
the size of the previous site. Moreover, there was no
legal documentation of the lease agreement or
ownership deeds.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.resist.ca/pipermail/onthebarricades/attachments/20070201/2da76fe4/attachment.html>
More information about the Onthebarricades
mailing list