From ldxar1 at tesco.net Thu Feb 1 00:21:39 2007 From: ldxar1 at tesco.net (Andy) Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:21:39 -0000 Subject: [Onthebarricades] Indonesian squatters/traders revolt against police, rout patrol Message-ID: <00b001c745d9$ff59e650$0202a8c0@andy1> Officers caught in 'zero tolerance' backlash Jakarta Post - January 27, 2007 Jakarta -- As the real estate sector has heated up, evictions carried out on "public order grounds" have become more and more routine. Following a series of evictions in different North and West Jakarta over the last week, squatters and street traders feel so vulnerable that even the sight of public order officers can spark chaos. The evictions culminated Friday in a brawl between street traders in Salemba, Central Jakarta, and public order officers. Antara reported the brawl started when street traders in the area saw four pick-up trucks filled with public order officers and thought they were going to be the next to go. Traders started pelting stones at the passing vehicles, sparking anger from the officers who got out of their trucks to "rough up" the traders. Local residents and college students in the area were seen in the crowd, supporting the traders. Outnumbered, the officers fled the scene, leaving behind a pick-up truck, which was later demolished by the angry crowd. "This was only a misunderstanding. Traders were assuming they were going to be evicted as they saw the passing officers," said Taryo, one of the street traders in the area. Kenari subdistrict head Prasetyo Kurniawan said the public order officers were heading to a settlement area on the Ciliwung River to carry out backyard poultry inspections. The incident might be an indication of the ill- feeling toward the authorities that has developed with the upsurge in evictions. Hundreds of squatters living under the Rawabebek overpass in Kalijodo, North Jakarta, lost their homes Thursday when public order officers bulldozed their illegal settlement. They are now living in makeshift tents. Earlier this week, vendors running stalls on a 3,500- square-meter property belonging to the Indonesian Navy in Pedongkelan, North Jakarta, were relocated to a much smaller area. The vendors said the relocation site provided by the city administration was not strategic and a third of the size of the previous site. Moreover, there was no legal documentation of the lease agreement or ownership deeds. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: From ldxar1 at tesco.net Fri Feb 9 14:36:11 2007 From: ldxar1 at tesco.net (Andy) Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 22:36:11 -0000 Subject: [Onthebarricades] BOLIVIA: FLASH--Evo Morales' army shoots at demonstrators Message-ID: <037101c74c9e$67f3e790$0202a8c0@andy1> > > Bolivia: The army recovers by force a gas plant seized by indigenous > people demanding expropriation From news reports via aporrea.org > 2/04/2007 > > A confrontation yesterday in the natural gas-rich locality of Camiri, > in the Bolivian southeast, left six wounded, five civilians and two > cops, when troops of the Bolivian army using tear gas and shooting > rubber bullets took back control of a plant that distributes LNG to > Brazil and was attacked by local residents demanding complete > nationalization of the plant, including expropriation. > > Government spokesman Alex Contreras, confirmed yesterday to > journalists that there are six wounded and that none of the five > civilians had used firearms. But, on the other hand, Victor Eduardo > Hoyos, emergency room physician at the local hospital, indicated that > "two of the victims have bullet wounds." > > The residents of Camiri, a vital commercial nexus of Santa Cruz in > northern Argentina, demand of the Bolivian government that the > hydrocarbons policy benefit the whole Chaco region, that borders > Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil, and is the richest gas reserve in Bolivia. > > Last Monday, the residents of Camiri, a city of some 30,000 > inhabitants, led by a radicalized leader and critic of the government > of President Evo Morales, began to protest with a civil strike that > blocked traffic with northern Argentina and on Friday-Saturday night > they seized by force the gas distribution plant of the Transredes > company, administered by the Dutch Shell company. > > The Bolivian federal authorities sent the army, that, together with > police troops, took back the plant after hard battles that continued > for several hours. The government charged that the demonstrators > exploded dynamite to try to enter the gas distribution plant a second > time and that there was a risk that the blast could affect the > pipelines which had fuel and that this fact caused the troops' reaction. > > He indicated in addition that the combined troop mobilization of > police and the army was ordered because suspending the supply of > gasoline and gas to Bolivia and other countries could not be permitted. > > The civic leader Mirko Orgaz, who led the revolt, indicated that the > region of the Chaco possesses the richest gas reserve in Bolivia, > calculated at 48.7 trillion cubic feet (1.55 billion cubic meters), > but that the economic benefits are not coming to the impoverished > residents. > > He added that the demonstrators are demanding the "nationalization > with expropriation of the oil companies," a measure that the Evo > Morales government is unwilling to adopt. > > The government explained that the supply of gas to Brazil by > subsidiaries of the oil companies Repsol (Spain) and British > Petroleum, that operate gas fields and deliver gas to Transredes, was > not suspended. > > Meanwhile, in La Paz, the public defender, Waldo Albarrac?n, called > for the pacification of Camiri and urged the Morales establish > dialogue committees, because at this moment "no one can exempt himself > from participating and supporting the dialogue, and we must all be > involved in pacifying the region" > > * * * > From ldxar1 at tesco.net Fri Feb 9 14:48:34 2007 From: ldxar1 at tesco.net (Andy) Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 22:48:34 -0000 Subject: [Onthebarricades] The two anarchist hunger strikers are being released! Message-ID: <037201c74c9e$68109750$0202a8c0@andy1> ----- Original Message ----- From: wildtimber2112 at aol.com To: stateyourcause at yahoogroups.com ; theecoanarchistclub at yahoogroups.com ; smygo at yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 4:00 AM Subject: [The Eco Anarchist club] The two anarchist hunger strikers are being released! Athens indymedia 06 After 70 days of hunger strike, for being detained awaiting trial All three detainees, arrested after the European Social Forum demonstration, on the 6th of May 2006, are being released after a decision by the Jurys' Council. They will be free under restrictions, still awaiting trial, to prove their innocence, as they claim. Two out of the three detainees have been on a hunger strike since December, protesting against their 8-month imprisonment, which had been based on some obscure testimonies by policemen. Since Tarassio Zandarozni, has been on a hunger for 70 days and Yerassimos Kyriakopoulos for 54 days, they are in hospital as they have already had severe disturbance on their health [latest update]. Their official release is expected to be tomorrow early in the morning, after the decision is officially recorded. The two hunger strikers will gradually come back their nutrition and will stay in hospital until they recover. Health update for the detained hunger strikers by LA 03:48pm, Tuesday February 6 2007 (Modified 04:30pm, Tuesday February 6 2007) Translation The signing special GPs, Athanassios Karambelis, adjunct director in Metaxas Hospital, and Olga Cosmopoulou, 2nd level tutor of the Nicaea General State Hospital and after special authorization by the Athens & Piraeus Doctors' Union, we are following the health state of the two detained hunger strikers, Mr Zantarozni Tarassios, aged 25 (on 68th day) and Kyriakopoulos Gerassimos, aged 31 (52nd day) being under hospital treatment in Nicaea General Hospital since the 9th of January 2007, and whom we examine regularly. During today's examination, adding to what we had noted on our previous announcements, we found that: The state of the two hunger strikers, who only accept to drink water, is still critical. They appear to have orthostatic hypotension and they cannot stand for more than a while, since they may faint. They stay in bed, 24hrs a day, and in a state of severe physical exhaustion. They suffer from loss of hypodermic fat, and atrophy of the skin and the hypodermic tissue, along with loss of hair and dry skin, phenomena of advanced starvation. They have a lot of emaciation and muscle weakness, and show severe atrophy of middle-bone and temple muscles, including obvious loss of muscular masses all over the body. The loss of muscular masses is so critical that in a high degree, that it is most possibly irreversible while it is an indication of analogous, non-visible but possibly more severe damages caused on internal sensitive organs. We focus on the incidents of bradycardia that both hunger strike suffer from, more often recently, something which alerts for a severe damage on the myocardium, endangering serious arrhythmias and sudden death. Analogous damages have possibly been caused on other delicate organs such as the central neural systema and the neural tissue as a whole. Some temporary incidents of daze and lack of locality, which consist a bad prognostic for initiating damages in the central neural system. Mr Kyriakopous, who has got only one leaver and has had a spleen ectomy, has extra gastrointestinal disturbances, almost since the beginning of his treatment, while he has got cholelithiasis, which can be attributed to the the starvation. Finally, the two hunger strikers are hemodynamically instable, risking a shock and serious infections with irrecoverable damages of vital organs. Their state is unavoidably worsening as the days go on, and in any time it can rapidly worsen, with irrecoverable damages on their health and immediate danger for their life. The doctors treating the detained hunger strikers and us, who have been presented as their personal doctors, with respect to them, we are doing are duty to keep our two patients in life and minize the severe and unavoidable damages, which they will have after so keeping themselves away from nutrition, for so long. The detained hunger strikers have already passed the limit for having non reversible and constant serious damages on their health, while there is immediate risk for their life. The signing doctors, we declare that it is absolutely required and urgent their immediate release, so as to save their health and their life. THE DOCTORS Athanassios Karambelis, adjunct director of Metaxas' Hospital Olga Cosmopoulou, 2nd-level tutor of NHS, General State Hospital of Nicaea ?Today?s terrorist is tomorrow?s freedom fighter.? ? SHAC leader Kevin Kjonaas, at the Animal Rights 2002 convention _http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stateyourcause/_ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stateyourcause/) _http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StopNightmareDogIndustries/_ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StopNightmareDogIndustries/) _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/hlssucks_ (http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/hlssucks) "If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time?But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together." --Lila Watson "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts, and warmth to our souls" -Colleen Klaum "Secret prisons, secret flights, the CIA tramples human rights; reverse hanging, what gives? If that's not torture, what the fuck is?" [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] __._,_.___ Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity a.. 1New Members Visit Your Group Give Back Yahoo! for Good Get inspired by a good cause. Y! Toolbar Get it Free! easy 1-click access to your groups. Yahoo! Groups Start a group in 3 easy steps. Connect with others. . __,_._,___ -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: From ldxar1 at tesco.net Sat Feb 10 15:33:38 2007 From: ldxar1 at tesco.net (Andy) Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:33:38 -0000 Subject: [Onthebarricades] Repression in West Bengal - CALL FOR ACTION Message-ID: <055901c74d6b$e425a420$0202a8c0@andy1> http://www.iuf.org/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&ID=4067&view_records=1&ww=1&en=1 Police Violence/Repression Against Unionists Intensifies in West Bengal - IUF Calls for ILO Intervention Posted to the IUF website 09-Feb-2007 The IUF on February 9 called on ILO Director General Juan Somavia to intervene with the government authorities in response to escalating police violence and repression in West Bengal, India. Leaders of the IUF-affiliated PBKMS are facing serious criminal charges which carry lengthy prison sentences. The PBKMS has been lending support to agricultural workers and small peasant farmers in the West Bengal community of Singur, who are resisting the eviction of 6,000 poor families from 420 hectares of farmland to make way for a small car factory to be built by the Tata Group, India's powerful multinational conglomerate. The plant would employ 2,000 workers, while up to 30,000 people will lose their land and livelihood, including agricultural labourers, marginal peasants, sharecroppers, cottage industry and other rural workers who would receive no compensation under the procedure. The villagers have resisted political instrumentalization of the conflict, and the Farmlands Protection Committee they have established enjoys widespread popular support. Systematic police violence and mass arrests have continued since a young viillager was murdered on December 18 inside the area fenced off by Tata, a death which residents attribute to the presence of heavily armed police and guards of the West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation. On January 10, PBKMS President Anuradha Talwar and other PBKMS members and organizers were illegally detained without warrants at the railway station while attempting to travel to Singur. Other prominent supporters of the Singur struggle were detained without warrants by police in Kolkota, in anticipation of their travelling to Singur. Repression of the ongoing protests reached a peak on February 4, 2007 when the police attacked a rally of villagers and the participants were severely beaten. At least 13 people, including Becharam Manna, Convener of the Singur Farmlands Protection Committee, were severely assaulted. Anuradha Talwar and 5 senior members of the PBKMS Executive - all of them women - who were demonstrating peacefully in support of the villagers were forcibly arrested, dragged to the police van, and threatened with rape. The events were recorded by television journalists. Serious criminal charges were filed against them which they only learned of in the course of their court appearances the following day. The charges include: attempt to commit murder, rioting with a deadly weapon, assault with a deadly weapon and assaulting a public servant, all of which carry lengthy prison sentences. Bail was granted only on the condition that they were barred from entering the area until April 1, 2007. The IUF has informed the ILO Director General of the serious criminal charges against PBKMS leaders and the overall pattern of gross rights violations carried out by the West Bengal authorities, including violations of the right to freedom of association, urging the ILO to intervene with the government to have them drop the charges and halt the repression. You can protest the criminalization of trade union support for the struggle against land seizures and mass evictions - write to the Chief Minister and Governor of West Bengal by clicking here . http://www.iuf.org/cgi-bin/campaigns/show_campaign.cgi?c=266 -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: