[news] Police lied about Stonechild, inquiry hears

ron ron at resist.ca
Wed Mar 17 11:46:03 PST 2004


Police lied about Stonechild, inquiry hears

Web Posted | Mar 12 2004 08:01 AM CST
http://sask.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=stonechild040312

REGINA   - The inquiry into the death of Neil Stonechild heard evidence 
that police deliberately misled the public about the mysterious death of 
an Aboriginal teen more than 13 years ago.

The issue of how Saskatoon police handled the fallout from the 
Stonechild investigation and the subsequent public inquiry dominated 
hearings this week.

The most striking testimony came Thursday when deputy police chief Dan 
Wiks admitted that he misled the public last May when asked whether two 
officers were suspects in the RCMP investigation.

Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations lawyer Sy Halyk was cross 
examining Wiks when he admitted lying to the media.

"What you said to the press in May 2003 to Mr. [James] Parker was an 
absolute untruth and misstatement?" he asked Wiks.

"uh...it was a misstatement, yes," Wiks responded.

The deputy chief also admitted that in preparing for the inquiry, a 
Saskatoon police task force discussed putting the two suspected 
constables, Larry Hartwig and Brad Senger, on paid suspension and then 
lying to the public about by saying the officers had been reassigned.

Wiks says that police misled the public within a year of Stonechild's 
death. Then media liaison Dave Scott told the press that the 
investigation had been exhaustive.

The former police chief now admits that the investigation was at best, 
shoddy.

Senger and Hartwig are expected to testify at the inquiry next week.



More information about the news mailing list