[IPSM] Dr O'Connor Cleared once and for all!
Macdonald Stainsby
mstainsby at resist.ca
Sat Nov 7 15:16:21 PST 2009
Doctor who suggested oilsands-cancer link cleared of misconduct charge
By Florence Loyie, Canwest News Service
November 7, 2009
EDMONTON - An embattled family physician who raised concerns about a
possible link between Alberta's oilsands and cancer rates in a remote
aboriginal community received vindication this week when he was cleared
of causing "undue alarm."
Dr. John O'Connor found himself in hot water after he claimed in 2003
and 2004 that residents of Fort Chipewyan, Alta., had unusually high
rates of blood, colon, bile-duct and liver cancer.
The province did a statistical analysis of all cancer cases reported in
Fort Chipewyan and found no evidence of elevated cancer rates in the
community compared to the rest of the local health region or all of Alberta.
The community is a few hundred kilometres downstream from Fort McMurray,
at the heart of Alberta's oilsands operations.
In 2007, Health Canada physicians laid four complaints of professional
misconduct against O'Connor with the Alberta College of Physicians and
Surgeons, including blocking access to files, billing irregularities,
engendering a sense of mistrust in government in Fort Chipewyan, and
causing "undue alarm" among residents of the community.
The charges could have resulted in O'Connor's licence being temporarily
suspended or possibly permanently withdrawn.
Several weeks later, the college cleared O'Connor of three of the
charges, except causing undue alarm. The physician left Alberta that
year for Nova Scotia, where he set up a clinic. However, he continued to
work with Alberta's northern aboriginal communities via the Internet and
periodically flew to Fort McMurray and Fort McKay, Alta., to see patients.
Last February, O'Connor received some vindication when the Alberta
Cancer Board released a study that found higher-than-expected rates of
some rare cancers among residents in Fort Chipewyan, about 700
kilometres north of Edmonton.
The study said the increases could be due to chance but could also be
caused by environmental factors. The study suggested ongoing monitoring
for the next five to 10 years.
In March, Fort Chipewyan residents issued a statement to Health Canada
and the College of Physicians and Surgeons, demanding that the remaining
charge against O'Connor be dismissed.
"This charge of ‘causing undue alarm' since it was lodged was the cause
of much frustration and disbelief by residents of Fort Chipewyan," the
statement said.
"Frustration, because the residents of the community have never been
consulted on whether we agree with the charge; and disbelief that the
very responsible authority who is charged with protecting our interests
and our health was actually lodging the complaints against Dr. John
O'Connor, rather than coming to the aid of our community to find
resolution to Dr. John O' Connor's claims."
On Friday, O'Connor was informed he had been cleared of the remaining
charge.
"The college has closed the file," O'Connor said. "There are no more
complaints and I am in good standing with the college. For me, this
removes a big monkey off my back. I feel years younger."
News that the doctor had been cleared was cheered by some Fort Chipewyan
residents.
"As you know, this last remaining charge of ‘causing undue alarm' has
never sat right with the residents of Fort Chipewyan," said George
Poitras, consultation co-ordinator for government and industry relations
for the Mikisew Cree First Nation.
"We are completely ecstatic that this news has finally arrived. It has
been long overdue."
Now that the doctor has been cleared, it is time for the Alberta
government to begin a comprehensive health study on the community, and
investigate the reasons for the higher rates of rare cancers among
residents, Poitras said.
Edmonton Journal
floyiethejournal at canwest.com
http://www.canada.com/health/suggested+oilsands+cancer+link+cleared/2197...
More information about the IPSM-l
mailing list