[IPSM] Globe&Mail: Accused in altercation, Mohawk activist is released
stef at tao.ca
stef at tao.ca
Tue Jul 8 15:25:07 PDT 2008
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080705.BRANT05/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/
Accused in altercation, Mohawk activist is released
KATE HAMMER
July 5, 2008
Mohawk activist Shawn Brant was released from prison last week
after the most serious charges against him in relation to an
April altercation with a Deseronto businessman were withdrawn.
Mr. Brant pleaded guilty to breach of bail and possession of a
weapon for a purpose dangerous to the public peace and was
sentenced by a judge to time already served - 62 days - plus a
year of probation.
Four charges - assault with a weapon, threatening, willful
damage and possession of marijuana - were withdrawn, according
to Mr. Brant's lawyer.
The weapon in question was a trident fishing spear that Mr.
Brant had inherited from a reserve elder who died years ago.
Jamie Lalonde, owner of an auto repair shop, alleged that Mr.
Brant aimed the spear at his throat when he tried to move
through a roadblock staged by Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory
residents.
Mr. Brant said he grabbed the spear from his car when he
witnessed a red pickup truck nearly crush some Tyendinaga
residents who were redirecting traffic around a roadblock, but
the vehicle sped away before he could confront the driver.
The incident landed Mr. Brant in jail because it violated the
conditions of his release after he led a group of protesters
last year to block a portion of Highway 401 and the Canadian
National Railway line.
"It's just nice to be out," Mr. Brant said in a telephone
interview yesterday. "The best part is the judge ordered my
spear returned."
Mr. Lalonde said he was disappointed that Mr. Brant was released
after only 2½ months in jail, but relieved that the trial was
over.
The April altercation made some community leaders nervous that
the close ties between the reserve and the town of Deseronto
were coming apart.
"We hope that relationships can improve and that the community
can move forward," said Mayor Norm Clark. He added that "so far,
everything has been quiet," which is just the way Deseronto's
1,900 residents like it.
Mr. Brant is to return to court in September for charges related
to the 2007 roadblock. According to his lawyers, the Crown is
contemplating applying for a trial under section 37 of the
Canada Evidence Act, an antiterrorism section that would close
the proceedings.
More information about the IPSM-l
mailing list