[IPSM] Mackenzie Valley gas pipeline hits new snag

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at resist.ca
Sat Apr 7 19:13:42 PDT 2007


Mackenzie Valley gas pipeline hits new snag
First Nation wants wilderness plan first
LISA SCHMIDT, CanWest News Service
Montréal Gazette
Published: Thursday, April 05, 2007

The last aboriginal holdout to the Mackenzie Valley natural gas pipeline 
is putting up another hurdle to its development, calling on the federal 
government yesterday to protect vast swaths of northern wilderness 
before the project can proceed.

Deh Cho First Nation Chief Herb Norwegian said Ottawa should approve the 
band's land use plan, which would set aside 60 per cent of its lands in 
the Northwest Territories as conservation areas, including national 
parks and wildlife areas, and open the rest for development.

"If there's no plan, there will be no pipeline," Norwegian said at a 
news conference with environmental leaders. "They've been dragging their 
heels, they just haven't moved on any issues."

The 1,220-kilometre pipeline, seen to be key to unlocking large Arctic 
gas reserves, has been plagued by regulatory delays and soaring cost 
estimates, which project leader Imperial Oil Ltd. said last month have 
more than doubled to $16.2 billion.

About 40 per cent of the proposed pipeline crosses lands claimed by the 
Deh Cho, the only major aboriginal group that hasn't yet signed onto the 
pipeline.

The land use plan was developed over four years and approved by the band 
last June. But Norwegian said federal negotiators rejected it, saying it 
places too much emphasis on conservation.

A spokeswoman for Indian Affairs Minister Jim Prentice, who is heading 
up the pipeline file, said talks continue on the land use plan.

"We've made it clear to the Deh Cho ... that we're willing to work with 
them on the land use plan in order to find a satisfactory solution for 
all sides. But that being said, the place to resolve issues is at the 
negotiation table," press secretary Deirdra McCracken said.

Environmentalists backed the land use plan yesterday, criticizing Ottawa 
for moving so slowly on it. "It borders on the unbelievable to think 
that we would squander this opportunity to protect this world-class 
area," said Harvey Locke, spokesman for the Canadian Parks and 
Wilderness Society.

Calgary Herald


© The Gazette (Montreal) 2007
-- 
Macdonald Stainsby
http://independentmedia.ca/survivingcanada
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/rad-green
In the contradiction lies the hope
    --Bertholt Brecht.




More information about the IPSM-l mailing list