[IPSM] First Nations Resist Destructive Development on Stolen Land
Nora Butler-Burke
nora-b at riseup.net
Thu Mar 23 11:48:10 PST 2006
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [colours] (toronto area) First Nations Resist Destructive
Development on Stolen Land
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:14:08 -0800 (PST)
Clan mothers lay it on the line
Six Nations native protesters lock arms at a mass rally yesterday to stop
housing construction on land they say still belongs to them.
No showdown with police at native rally to stop builders
By Paul Legall The Hamilton Spectator CALEDONIA (Mar 23, 2006)
More than a hundred native women including powerful clan mothers locked
arms in a human chain to block a police arresting party that never
happened.
It was the second mass rally that native protesters have staged since
moving onto a residential building construction site south of town on Feb.
28.
It started with about a dozen people in the morning. Supporters kept
streaming in during the course of the day and by 2 p.m., more than 200
people had gathered at the entrance of the Douglas Creek Estates.
There were also dozens of cars parked on and around the building site and
along both sides of Argyle Street. The anticipated showdown with the local
OPP also attracted a steady stream of spectators creating bumper-to-bumper
traffic on the road.
Droves of new supporters, including natives from other parts of Canada and
the United States, responded to a judge's order last week which ordered
protesters to leave the site by 2 p.m. If they didn't go on their own,
they were told they'd be arrested for contempt of court and face a
possible 30-day jail sentence.
About half an hour after the deadline passed with no sign of police
intervention, the group started to relax and disperse. After holding their
position at the front of the line for almost 45 minutes, the women
unlocked their arms for the first time.
The strong show of women was a testimony to the moral authority the Six
Nations clan mothers have displayed in the action, which has been
described as a "land reclamation."
The clan mothers, who'd been acting mostly behind the scenes, yesterday
came out with a press release addressed to the developer of the
subdivision, provincial and federal authorities and "Her Majesty the Queen."
They told them they had no business on the disputed land.
"Therefore, we the clan mothers command the agents, representatives and
officers of the said British corporation to be at peace and refrain from
any acts of violence to spill blood or interfere with the rights of the
Onkwe'hon:we" (the aboriginal people), they wrote.
The missive was signed "Clan mothers."
The protesters say the subdivision is on part of the Haldimand tract that
was deeded to the Six Nations in 1784 and still belongs to them. They
argue the tract, which covers 9.6 kilometres both sides of the Grand River
from the mouth to the source, was never transferred to third parties and
is still their territory.
Professor Tony Hall, who teaches native studies at the University of
Lethbridge, has described the current dispute as "ground zero" in the
native struggle to reclaim lost lands.
John and Don Henning, of Henco Industries Limited, issued a press released
this week stating that Six Nations had made "no submissions of objection
at any time during the three-year planning process" for Douglas Creek
Estates.
They also stated they have a provincial land titles certificate
guaranteeing they're the legal owners of the property.
"We are being held hostage between a splinter group and the federal
government, a situation over which we have no control," the Henco
officials wrote.
Henco obtained a court injunction on March 3 to have the protesters
removed from the site. But because it was a civil order, the local OPP
said they had no power to enforce it until yesterday, after a judge ruled
that the protesters could be arrested for contempt of court.
Stacey Boots came from the Akwesasne reserve near Cornwall to give his
support. "There was a call for help and we responded," he said.
Asked about the role of the women, he replied, "They're great. We follow
their lead."
Earlier he told the protesters: "I think what we did today was great. ...
This is the beginning."
Janie Jamieson, 31, an organizer, was pleased with the turnout but has no
illusion police have forgotten about them. She said they're likely to show
up when there are fewer protesters around.
plegall at thespec.com 905-526-3385
(see attached photo)
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: hs1353393_1.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 13234 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.resist.ca/pipermail/ipsm-l/attachments/20060323/a57b1df0/attachment.jpg>
More information about the IPSM-l
mailing list