[IPSM] OPP putting pressure on Mohawks - will there be a repeat of Oka '90 or Ipperwash?
dustin johnson
dustin at redwiremag.com
Thu Mar 9 17:00:17 PST 2006
just a quick note that Mohawk protesters in Six Nations have been
ordered by the court to leave their occupation and that the OPP (the
same force involved with the murder of Dudley George at Ipperwash)
are already patrolling the area.
Hi
i either met you at the Hear our voices gathering or the hank adams
Visionary Award.
Please pass forward to reporters, film makers, etc...
and direct inquires to Trevor for interviews etc..
this is about to escalate...such as what happened a few years ago at
Oka near montreal, where the armed mohawks fought of the canadian
army for months.
best to all
r
latest message below ...ten minutes ago..
4:40PM?
OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) want everyone out within a week!
Trevor, Melvin, Bill & Pat are the ones who went to court in Cayuga.
Covered by CH News Hamilton. Cops don't want a repeat of OKA!
We need National Coverage NOW! There are horses where there normally
aren't! Could use a few more!
Constitutional questions Stay in injunction! Judge ruled.
Guys to meet w/ Girls later! Lots of people in Caledonia! More than
last night! Two cruisers "Observing" instead of one. Here we go!
More later
P.
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fw: Hamilton Spectator - Court orders protesters out
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:54:59 -0800
From: TREVOR VanEvery <trevor.vanevery at sympatico.ca>
Reply-To: TREVOR VanEvery <trevor.vanevery at sympatico.ca>
To:
----- Original Message -----
From: TREVOR VanEvery <mailto:trevor.vanevery at sympatico.ca>
To: erica krumpl <mailto:krumpl at earthlink.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:05 AM
Subject: Hamilton Spectator - Court orders protesters out
<http://www.thespec.com/>
Court orders protesters out
Barry Gray, the Hamilton Spectator
Native protester Dawn Smith burns an injunction ordering Six Nations
occupiers from a Caledonia subdivision by 10 a.m. Thursday.
Natives must leave by Thursday
By Paul Morse
The Hamilton Spectator(Mar 6, 2006)
A court has ordered native protesters blockading a subdivision
development in Caledonia to clear out by Thursday.
Around 5 p.m. yesterday, a local sheriff delivered an injunction to
several dozen protesters, including members of the Six Nations
Confederacy, who began occupying the Douglas Creek Estates
development off Argyle Street last Tuesday.
The interim injunction, obtained by developer Don Henning of Henco
Industries against the Six Nations Confederacy Council and several
individually named protesters, orders them to remove all barricades
and vehicles by 10 a.m. Thursday and not hinder work at the subdivision.
Protesters threw up barricades at the entrance to the 200-home
subdivision last week, hoisted a "Six Nations Land" banner between
two lampposts and set up a large campfire for warmth.
The natives listened silently as the injunction was read to them,
then burned copies of it in the campfire after the sheriff drove off.
Native spokesperson Dawn Smith, 31, said the confederacy council
would not comment on whether it intended to obey the injunction until
it had weighed all its options.
Protesters say the disputed land is part of the original tract
granted to the Six Nations people more than 200 years ago. They say
the land was never sold, transferred or surrendered to non-natives.
The Douglas Creek Estates development received support from former
Six Nations elected band council Chief Roberta Jamieson.
"There are lots of discussions under way to try to resolve this, and
I'm not going to say much else," said Henning last night.
"All I want to do is see a peaceful end to this, and the sooner the
better."
Arnold General, one of the Six Nations Confederacy traditional
chiefs, said "it's possible" protesters will pack up and leave by
Thursday.
He suggested the protest may not stop the Douglas Creek development,
"but I'm not saying there aren't other developments we can stop."
General said non-native governments "are stealing our land all up and
down the Grand River ... and the government will not sit down and
talk with us."
pmorse at thespec.com <mailto:pmorse at thespec.com> 905-526-3434
www.redwiremag.com
our stories, our voices, ourselves
--
"The Revolution will NOT be Televised...but it'll be featured in
Redwire!"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.resist.ca/pipermail/ipsm-l/attachments/20060309/bacb8eab/attachment.html>
More information about the IPSM-l
mailing list