[IPSM] Controversial Minutemen Watch over Akwesasne-area Border

hhazel at gmail.com hhazel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:48:13 PST 2005


http://members.aol.com/miketben1/minutemen.htm

CONTROVERSIAL MINUTEMEN WATCH
OVER AKWESASNE-AREA BORDER

BY: SHANNON BURNS

INDIAN TIME - Vol. 23 #44 - Kentenha / October 27, 2005 Edition - Page 1 & 3

The Minutemen, who are often the targets of protest and resentment,
expanded their area of border-watching to include the U.S.-Canada
border just east of Akwesasne last weekend.

The organization of volunteers commits itself to protecting the United
States border by watching it with their own eyes and reporting any
suspicious activity to the U.S. Border Patrol. Since the project began
several years ago they had never watched over the Akwesasne area.

That was changed last week.

For two days, approximately 15 Minutemen staked out the border around
Akwesasne at six different secret locations.

"Our number one issue is securing the U.S. border," said Pete Lanteri,
the New York Chapter Leader for the Minutemen. "We want to stop
illegal immigration."

The slogan of the Minutemen Project is "Americans doing the jobs
Congress won't do. Operating within the law to support enforcement of
the law." The Minutemen notify the U.S. Border Patrol of their intent
to watch over the border, and occasionally they'll also notify local
governments. In this instance, the Mayor of Massena was reportedly
notified and Mohawk Council of Akwesasne Grand Chief Angie Barnes told
the OTTAWA SUN that the Minutemen had not been invited to Akwesasne
and would not be welcome here.

St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Sub-Chief Ron LaFrance Jr. also commented on
the Minutemen's target of Akwesasne.

"The Tribe has a Police department that is very capable of patrolling
Akwesasne," he said. "The Minutemen are not needed here and will never
be invited to patrol our community."

"We don't go on the reservation because we're not allowed there," said
Lanteri, but the Minutemen decided to stake out the area around the
reserve in a trial run because "everyone's got rumors about what's
going on there."

The Minutemen are primarily seeking to stop illegal immigrants from
entering the country and Akwesasne's few cases of alien smuggling put
it on their radar screen. However, during the two-night stakeout, only
one instance of suspicious activity was seen by them in an open field
and it turned out to be nothing.

"Should we see anything as far as suspicious activity, our main rule
is that we are eyes and ears only," Lanteri said. The Minutemen are
not trying to take the law into their own hands but will report any
such activity immediately to law enforcement, they said.

Asked if his organization was also seeking out drug smugglers this
past weekend, Lanteri said, "We're not looking for it." Suspicious
activity, however, would be reported to the U.S. Border Patrol as
such.

The Minutemen do the majority of their border watching along the U.S.
- Mexico border where hundreds of illegal immigrants are said to enter
the country each day. The Northeast has just recently been added by
the organizations observation area.

The Minutemen have often been viewed as a racist organization, since
their targets are generally minorities seeking to enter the country
illegally. But, the Minutemen dismiss any accusations of prejudice and
believe the majority of their protest comes from groups and
organizations who are pro-illegal immigration or who want to see an
open border around the U.S.

"A lot of groups just don't want any kind of border," Lanteri said.
"Some groups also see us as working with the government."

In fact, the Minutemen Project is a privately funded group.

The Minutemen left their posts around Akwesasne Sunday evening and do
not have any immediate plans to return.

------------------------------------------------
http://news.gc.ca/cfmx/view/en/index.jsp?articleid=183879

Government of Canada approves new Cornwall RCMP detachment building


CORNWALL, November 16, 2005 -- The Honourable Mauril Bélanger,
Minister for Internal Trade, Deputy Leader of the Government in the
House of Commons, Minister responsible for Official Languages, and
Associate Minister of National Defence, today announced that the
Government of Canada has granted lease project approval for the new
Cornwall RCMP Detachment building.

"New infrastructure in the city of Cornwall will greatly improve law
enforcement operations in this important region," said Minister
Bélanger. "It will allow the RCMP to deliver on its strategic
priorities of combating organized crime and terrorism, ensuring
economic integrity, and building better relations with aboriginal
communities."

Lease project approval for the new Cornwall Detachment allows for the
acquisition of a site and development of a 4,542 square meter
facility. The building will provide accommodation for 127 law
enforcement personnel, and in addition to the RCMP, will house
partners from the Canada Border Service Agency, Ontario Provincial
Police, Sûreté du Québec, City of Cornwall Police, and various United
States agencies.

The detachment building will be delivered through a 25-year
lease-purchase agreement with a private sector partner. A site has
been identified in the area of McConnell Avenue and the Highway 401
interchange, ensuring easy access to the eastern Ontario and western
Quebec service area.

Public Works and Government Services Canada will support the RCMP by
purchasing the proposed site, managing the lease-purchase agreement,
as well as the delivery and commissioning of the new facility. The
land acquisition is in closing.

For further information:

Shawn Salewski
Office of the Honourable Mauril Bélanger
(613) 952-6732

Media Relations Unit
Public Works and Government Services Canada
(819) 956-2315
--
actz of rebellion inspire me



More information about the IPSM-l mailing list