[IPSM] Grassy Narrows blockade update - Friday Nov. 12th

Stefan Christoff christoff at resist.ca
Sat Nov 13 15:13:58 PST 2004


---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:26:48 -0600
From: steve fobister <gsfobister at hotmail.com>


ahneen Kakinna,

The crown's withdrawal of charges against Abitibi Consolidated last month
came as no surprise to the people of Grassy Narrows First nation. "I
almost expected it I guess " said Reberta Keesick a trapper from Grassy
Narrows in response to the withdrawal of charges against Abitibi by
Ministry of Natural Resources Oct. 21 " It seems the system works for them
because of their own design to work that way to the companies favour.

Withdrawn were 20 charges of failing to comply with a forest resource
licence contrary to the crown forest sustainability act and two related
charges  of failing to provide information. The charges were related to
MNR reports between may 1999 and april 2001 that abitibi cutting blocks
within the wiskey jack forest had not complied with the terms of their
forest management plan.

Joe Fobister, one of the original community members involved in the
blockade of logging operations in the wiskey jacj forest beginning in
2002, said the decision by the crown also was no surprise to him. He siad
the only reason the MNR laid charges originally was due to the protest
from Grassy Narrows. " I believe it was a planned from right from the
beginning". Saif Fobister. "It was just a show"'. Carl Chaboyer also from
Grassy also said he abserved the day the chrges were withdrawn , taking a
luch break from attending the Geronimo inquest, were shocked to Abitibi
officials Dale Monroe and Marc Osborne having lunch with at Boston Pizza
with MNR's Grassy Negotiator Bruce Sandilands????.

Carl and the other Grassy members found this strange, and carl put it " If
I was chatged for driving while intoxicated dropped against me. I doutb
very much I'd be sitting down with the crown attorney at the same table?.
Fobister said he was not dissopointed at all. This has not changed the
goal of our people and the blockade of it main purpose. They can play
their legal games of their own design said  fobister.

However, Marc Osbourn media relation for Abitibi stands by their
harvesting methods. "were pretty proud of the way we manage our woodlands
and were convienced we do it in a sustainable way", said osborne. He said
that that the company is in the process of obtaining their forest
certification through the Canadian Standards Associations by 2005.

"We have committed, by 2005 to have all of our 17.5 million hectares
certified by a third party". said Osbourne of their Province wide Forestry
holdings that included in 1 million hectares in the Wiskey Jack Forest
which is currently a big part of the Grassy Narrows Traditional land use
area.

That will be the proof that we can bring to the public in general." Said
Osborne of the companies status as a sustainable manager. "Were committed
to coming up with something tangiable that will solve this issue with the
community.

The chiefs Comments after this press release was in the order that
everything is at a discussions stages and there has been no agreements to
stand on to give any solution with the current situation. My people have
to ratify anything thats agreed upon said Chief Fobister and that the
bottom line. There is no way the blockade will ever come down until there
is a garantee of respect from the Governments and the Corpoartion who have
taking advantage of our resources in criminal a way for so long. They have
to except our own Traditional value plan first before any negotiation can
be commenced he said.......awsa steve

----------------



More information about the IPSM-l mailing list