[BC_Labour_E-NEWS] March 9
bc_labour_enews at bcfed.net
bc_labour_enews at bcfed.net
Tue Mar 9 16:54:00 PST 2004
E-News March 9
1) Op-Ed by B.C. Federation of Labour President Jim Sinclair
2) Press release issued by the B.C. Federation of Labour on proposed changes
to WCB regulations.
A Case to halt the Sale of BC Rail
Op Ed by
Jim Sinclair, President
News that a $1 billion sale of a Crown Corporation is the subject of a
criminal investigation would cause any responsible government to re-evaluate
its decision to proceed with the deal - and then there are the BC Liberals.
Gordon Campbell's decision to ram through the BC Rail privatization deal
while the RCMP are still investigating BC Liberal insiders connected to the
deal is completely irresponsible - it betrays the trust placed in his
government by BC voters.
Whether or not one agrees with the government's decision to sell BC Rail,
you simply cannot do a $1 billion deal while criminal charges directly
related to the sale are being investigated. When we consider all the
information that is available to the public today, a reasonable person would
conclude that proceeding with this sale is just plain reckless-the act of a
government in denial.
What do we know for certain? We know from the BC Supreme Court summary of
search warrant that the RCMP is investigating breach of trust allegations
against two government officials in connection with the sale of BC Rail. We
know from the BC Rail Fairness Advisor report that confidential information
was provided to one of the bidders. And we know Canadian Pacific - a major
corporation - pulled out of the bidding process citing a government bias
towards CN Rail.
Just this week Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon admitted that CN was
leaked confidential information during a crucial part of the bidding
process. This information is never fully disclosed in the Fairness
Advisor's report, and only emerges in dribs and drabs as more and more
public scrutiny is placed on the deal. The other shoe has dropped, and
British Columbians know there's more to this scheme than they've been told.
What don't we know? We don't know if leaked information prevented taxpayers
from getting top dollar for BC Rail. We don't know if the withdrawal of
Canadian Pacific's bid left the government with two inferior bids to service
rural communities. And we don't know what evidence was discovered as a
result of the search warrant.
Where does this leave us?
Consider this. What can the government do if these two government officials
are charged and convicted of breach of trust after BC Rail is sold to CN?
There will be little they could do to reverse the deal once BC Rail is sold,
that's why it is important that we wait until the police investigation is
completed. Even Finance Minister Gary Collins has been forced to
acknowledge that criminal charges will taint the deal.
Well unfortunately for the BC Liberals, as clouds over this deal only
continue to grow, it's already tainted. A major corporation has complained
that the bidding process has been biased towards CN Rail. The RCMP is
investigating two key government officials involved in the sale. A
government report says confidential information was leaked to a BC Rail
bidder. Anything else?
These are serious allegations by three different groups of people. This is
on top of the fact that the Premier promised not to sell or privatize the
railway in the first place. Earlier this year a Liberal cabinet minister
was forced to resign over allegations involving Doug Walls, a relative of
the premier who received un-tendered government contracts.
The government is about to embark on major contract work to build facilities
and infrastructure for the 2010 Olympics. What confidence will anybody have
in the bidding on those contracts if the government doesn't show it takes
these allegations seriously?
It's clear Mr. Premier it's time to halt the sale of BC Rail. Do the
responsible thing and wait until the next election and earn the public's
support to sell BC Rail. Broken promises are bad enough, but now criminal
investigations-the people deserve a say.
++++
March 9, 2004
** For Immediate Release **
B.C. Federation of Labour Fights Cuts to Workers' Health and Safety
Regulations at WCB Public Hearings in Prince George Today
Vancouver - B.C. Federation of Labour President Jim Sinclair today warned
that cuts to health and safety regulations will reduce health and safety
protection for workers, leading to more accidents and injuries on the job.
Sinclair was commenting on public hearings taking place in Prince George
today, where the Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) is proposing changes to a
vast array of health and safety regulations, driven by a BC Liberal
directive to reduce 'red tape'.
"The proposed changes have been driven entirely by the provincial
government's short-sighted view that all regulations are bad, and that more
health and safety decisions should be left up to the employer," said
Sinclair. "That's like saying we should consider getting rid of the speed
limit because it's a regulation and that drivers should determine what speed
limit is appropriate."
The WCB is seeking public input on proposals to water down regulations on
violence in the workplace, noise vibration, ladders and scaffolds,
radiation, and temperature and fall protection. They are also considering
several changes in the agriculture sector.
"Cutting enforcement, in the guise of 'new flexible regulations' just makes
things worse," said Sinclair. "Workers don't want to put their health and
safety at risk just so the Liberals can pay back their corporate friends."
The WCB's own statistics show that over the last ten years WCB has carried
out far less enforcement activity. Over the period, inspection reports
issued by the Board declined by 50 percent, orders fell by more than 44
percent, and employer penalties decreased by 71 percent.
In 2002:
* 232 workers were killed on the job,
* 5 workers between the ages of 15 and 24 died on the job,
* 159,000 workers reported work injuries, and
* 5,000 workers were permanently injured.
"Clearly much more work is required to ensure that workers return to their
families at the end of a work day, healthy and safe. Fewer and flexible
regulations are not the answer," concluded Sinclair.
The WCB is holding five hearings across the province, beginning today in
Prince George. A representative from the labour community will be present
at every meeting to ensure that the impact of any change is properly
studied.
-30-
For more information contact: Lynn Bueckert 1-250 563-1116 or Jessie Uppal
604-430-1421.
opeiu 15
More information about the BC_Labour_Enews
mailing list