[antiwar-van] MEDIA COVERAGE OF MAWO PICKET ACTION !

shannon bundock vanacct at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 29 16:38:35 PST 2005


MEDIA COVERAGE OF MAWO PICKET ACTION CALLING FOR
  INDEPENDENT PUBLIC INQUIRY INTO CANADIAN WAR DRIVE!
  
  November 28th 2005, Mobilization Against War and
  Occupation (MAWO), held a noisy and spirited picket in
  front of the Canadian Forces Recruitment Centre to
  call for an independent public inquiry into the
  Canadian occupation of Afghanistan.
  
  With the recent death of Canadian soldier, Pte
  Woodfield, the action drew media attention from
  newspaper, television and radio.
  
  Today, November 29, 2005, a front-page article
  appeared on 24hrs newspaper! Coverage was also in
  Metro News!
  
  ************************************************
  SEE BELOW FOR THE ARTICLES!
  
  CHECK OUT WWW.MAWOVANCOUVER.ORG FOR PHOTOS AND REPORT!
  
  ************************************************
  24hrs Newspaper:
  http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/2005/11/29/pf-1328818.html
  
  November 29, 2005
  Rally questions Afghan war
  
  By MATT KIELTYKA, 24 HOURS
  
  A small rally was held outside a Canadian Forces
  recruitment office in Vancouver yesterday following
  the death of a B.C. soldier in Afghanistan last week.
  Organized by the Mobilization Against War and
  Occupation (MAWO), the demonstrators said they were
  trying to raise awareness of increased military
  spending in what they say is a combat mission - not a
  peacekeeping role.
  
  "I think most Canadians are against war. They just
  don't have all the information about this one," said
  MAWO organizer Shannon Bundock. "We want people to
  question why taxpayer dollars are going into this
  operation when we need money for education and health
  care."
  
  Despite targeting the 1070 W. Georgia Street
  recruitment office, Bundock said protesters didn't
  trouble employees.
  
  "This is mostly a way of informing the people on the
  street to what's going on," she said.
  
  ************************************************
  
  Metro News
  http://www.mawovancouver.org/images/051129metro.pdf
  
  November 29, 2005
  Death sparks rally
  
  With chants of “Canada out of Afghanistan”, around 20
  members of an anti-war group rallied outside the
  Vancouver recruiting office of the Canadian Armed
  Forces yesterday.
  
  The group, Mobilization Against War and Occupation
  (MAWO), was protesting the death of Canadian soldier,
  Pte. Braun Woodfield in Afghanistan two days ago.
  Woodfield dies when the armoured vehicle he was riding
  in crashed. Four others were injured.
  
  MAWO co-chair Shannon Bundock said the group is
  calling for a public inquiry into the government’s
  decision to increase the military budget by $12.8
  billion and to send an additional 2000 soldiers to
  Afghanistan.
  
  Bundock said there was no public consultation around
  either decision.
  
  In February, the group started a petition asking for
  the removal of troops from Afghanistan. So far they
  have collected 8,000 signatures.
  
  Mobilization Against War and Occupation is a coalition
  of over 50 endorsing members, most of which are labour
  unions, student unions, indigenous groups, Women’s
  Organizations and groups from the third world.
   
  
  

		
---------------------------------
Find your next car at Yahoo! Canada Autos
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.resist.ca/pipermail/antiwar-van/attachments/20051129/8ed542c3/attachment.html>


More information about the antiwar-van mailing list